Loves to help with queries

Default Visit to Longford

Hi
    This isn't exactly a genealogy question! I am planning to visit the UK in June and hope to get over to Ireland for a couple of days. My 2 x great grandfather Michael Gaugharty was born in TempleMichael, Co.Longford in 1811. He later served in the British Army and lived in England until his death. My idea was to fly to Dublin from Bristol, stay there overnight and the next day 5th June go to Temple Michael by train. I see it is quite a long journey and thought I would stay overnight and return to Dublin the next day.
    However looking at the map of Temple Michael it looks rather like a large town but I cannot find much in the way of accommodation (B & B preferably). There are some places at Longford but I will not have any transport so will have difficulty in getting around.

Can anyone advise me please. I am wondering if I should just forget about TM/Longford and spend the 3 days in Dublin.

Mary
    Australia

Jan1954

Hello Mary,

What you need to think about is: what is the purpose of visiting Templemichael? If it is to get a "feel" of the place, then remember that it will have changed a great deal since 1811. Do you know exactly where Michael Gaugharty was born so that you could visit it - if it is still there?

You may find that you discover more by visiting the National Archives of Ireland in Dublin (nationalarchives.ie/). Have a good rummage around their website to see what you would be able to investigate.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There’s a small townland of Templemichael Glebe, which at onetime was rural agricultural land but which is now suburbs of Longford town. Then there’s the parish of Templemichael which encompasses most of Longford town (including the glebe townland). If Michael’s place of birth was recorded as Templemichael, I’d guess it was the parish that was being referred to which gives you quite a big area to search. Unless you have a specific townland for him, then you won’t really know where to look in the town.

The good news is that the RC parish records for Templemichael start in June 1802 (with some gaps) so there’s a chance of finding his baptism. There’s a copy of the records held in the National Library in Dublin (Ref: pos 4232). I’d be inclined to search there first and then if you get a townland from those records, then that’d help narrow your search in Longford itself.

Expect the spelling of his surname to vary. It may not be as you have it now. The records may also be in Latin. And I can’t guarantee there will be a townland shown. Early records sometimes just had the parents and childs names plus the 2 sponsors. It was up to the priest as to what the records contained.
    ELWYN