Annamarie

Default Militia Service Records

Before purchasing credits to view Militia Service Records on FMP can anyone tell me what information they contain? I have family members in Staffordshire, Buckinghamshire and Suffolk who joined Militia groups.

malcolm99

Hello Annamarie

You could start with this>

https://www.
    nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/588.htm

Annamarie

Many thanks Malcolm, the records certainly sound worthwhile, I'm looking forward to viewing them.

Annamarie

According to the National Archives the Militia Records are on FMP. When I search for records using the details of Ancestors I know were in the militia, there are no corresponding entries, nor can I find the collection. I can find the records on FamilySearch and my ancestors names appear. Rather then ordering records from Family Search I prefer the immediacy of F M P. any help greatly appreciated.

malcolm99

FMP say they are within British Army Service Records 1760-1915; 500,000 Militia service records apparently.

Reputation beyond repute

You can search the index on FMP for free (allegedly)

You say you "know" they were in the militia. What's your source for this?

Annamarie

My sources include an application to join the Manchester police force in which he stated he was a member of the Staffordshire Riflemen which I believe was part of the Militia. Others from Buckinghamshire and Suffolk appear in the records on Family Search - including year of birth.

Following Malcolm's advice I've found five of the records amidst the British Army Service records.
    Thanks
    Annamarie