Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Haybrook Close, Badsey

A of a long shot, but this piece of land was mentioned in the will of my distant uncle Thomas Allen, dating to 1650.

It was devised? demised? and granted by lease to him by a couple I suspect may be the parents of the wife of my ancestor John Allen.

There's a bit of legalese I don't understand, but I'm thinking the couple granted him it at their deaths.

In any event, I'm hoping someone here has heard of it, at least, since googling has come up dry, as has a search of TNA website.

Jan1954

Badsey has a lovely website about the history of the place. I see that Haybrook Close is not mentioned, but it coiuld be worth whizzing off an email to them to see if they are able to shed any light on the matter:
    https://www.
    badsey.net/

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya
    It was devised? demised?
    Devised. It is an old legal way of saying that they are bequeathing real property (land etc) in a will rather than personal property (clothes, pictures etc).

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Badsey has a lovely website about the history of the place. I see that Haybrook Close is not mentioned
    They do have a Claybrook Close, though: see this page about Bretforton Road, under 'North Side – 101, 103':

badsey.net/places/roads/bretf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    They do have a Claybrook Close, though: see this page about Bretforton Road, under 'North Side – 101, 103':

badsey.net/places/roads/bretf.htm
    When I saw that, I rechecked the will, it definitely looks like Haybrook, not Claybrook to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Badsey has a lovely website about the history of the place. I see that Haybrook Close is not mentioned, but it coiuld be worth whizzing off an email to them to see if they are able to shed any light on the matter:
    badsey.net/

Devised. It is an old legal way of saying that they are bequeathing real property (land etc) in a will rather than personal property (clothes, pictures etc).
    Thanks. I've been wondering about that.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by t@nya View Post
    When I saw that, I rechecked the will, it definitely looks like Haybrook, not Claybrook to me.
    That's a shame, because Claybrook is clearly marked on that lovely enclosure map.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    That's a shame, because Claybrook is clearly marked on that lovely enclosure map.
    Yeah, I know.

pippycat

I found mention of a Thomas Allen in the following:

"guide to Stratford and Warwickshire - Folger"

If you click the contents, Thomas Allen, a Baker is mentioned in P10... seems to be about 1604.

I expect its of little use but the site also has a 'finding aid' which brings up a few Allen surnames - might be worth a look, you never know!

Rebecca

Thanks, I'll have a look.