Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sulee

Default Sylvester Buildings. Camberwell

Does anyone know where Sylvester Buildings were? The address was in a school admittance in 1900.
    . I presume it's Camberwell, As the family always lived in that area.
    I tried googling it, but I could only find that there had been a Sylvester Road in Camberwell, but I couldn't find out where that was.
    Thank you for any ideas on where to look.

Mutley

There was one in Hackney E8 and one in Walthamstow E17 on my 1922 map.
    What time frame are you searching in?

Mutley

I cannot find it in the 1891 census but in the 1881 there is just one building, number 16. It is occupied by the Joyce family.
    RG11/678 /Folio 85/ 41

Sub District: Camberwell

Coromandel

I have found a reference to a Silvester Buildings in Newington: might that be it?

An H.M. Land Registry notice in the 'London Gazette' of 9 November 1926 says that a Max Hertz is about to be registered as the proprietor of 'Freehold land and buildings, 6, 8, 12, 14 Tabard Street, 2, 4, 6 Silvester Street and Blocks A and B Silvester Buildings' in Newington.

https://www.
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33219/supplements/7266/

Looking at this area on old maps, I see that in Silvester Street there were some buildings labelled 'Arcadia'. Googling finds an archaeological report on the site, which says Arcadia Buildings was a 'late 19th century tenement block that ran the lenth of Silvester Street, between Tabard Street and Great Dover Street'. I am wondering if it might be the same as Silvester Buildings, but have not found anything to confirm it yet.

Mutley

Looking at the original 1881 census the other numbers are there, just don't seem to be on the index of the site I am using.

Looking at the previous pages, the first number has a note 'Starting Castle' I wondered if it meant Elephant and Castle, unless it is a pub.
    The previous street is Pellatt Street with Poland Villas and Rose Villas.

[EDIT] The enumeration district was number 33 (St. John). The description includes Lordship Lane and Crystal Palace Road
    Last edited by Mutley; 21-02-2013 at 8:34 PM. Reason: Added an edit

Mutley

It is on the 1922 map, spelt with and 'i'. It is also still there today on google maps.

Between Lordship Lane and Crystal Palace Road, south of Whateley Road. Just a few minutes from Camberwell Old Cemetery. But it is about 5 miles from Tabard Street found by Coromandel so maybe there were two of them.

sulee

Thank you for your prompt replys.
    The date was March 1900
    I'm a little confused, I've just checked a map and Newington. and Tabard St doesn't appear to be that close to Lordship Lane. Do you both have the same street? the only other place that I have an address for was in 1901' When they were supposed to be living in Sultan St. [But they weren't there for the census!] and that st appears to be close to Newington.

sulee

Sorry Mutley,
    our posts seemed to have "crossed".

malcolm99

Quote Originally Posted by sulee View Post
    The address was in a school admittance in 1900.
    Which school was it Sulee?

Coromandel

Yours sounds much nearer the right area, Mutley! I think mine must be the wrong one.

Just in case anyone ever comes along who wants to know about the other Silvester Buildings, I have got a better idea now of where they were. . . they are shown in a 1910 street directory as being in (or maybe off) Tabard Street near Silvester Street, but not where Arcadia Buildings were. Probably around where 'Olave Street Chambers' are marked on the map.

Sorry for the red herring!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast