Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Mormon family - Salt Lake City, Utah

I am prepared to adnit that I know little about the life of Mormons in the 19th c.

A 3rd cousin - born in Golden, Jefferson, Colorado on 19 March 1889. Shortly after her birth her parents divorced and she, her 2 siblings and her mother moved to Utah.

This lady, my 3rd cousin married a Mormon on 17 September 1908. What I am now attempting to do [and it's difficult] is to look at the family of her husband.

Has anyone attempted to unravel the multiple marriages, births etc. of the late 19th and early 20th c. given that only fragments of the 1890 census exist and Utah is not part of the collection?

Colin

bamagirl

Colin - this is an excellent question. My LDS relations all joined post-polygamy, so this hasn't been an issue. Now I'm curious.... requires some thought - which today might require some effort.

-Barb

Annamarie

Colin, this may not help at all, but researching a family member on Ancestry the following record collection came up:
    Early Members of the Reorganised Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. The record contained a brief biography of my ancestors life including the date of his joining in 1867 in Iowa.

There may be similar records for Salt Lake City.

Colin Rowledge

Here is an example of what I'm finding - whether or not it relates to a branch in my tree is debateable:
    1870 Unted States Federal Census
    No relationship is specified for any of the following to Henry Moon born England c. 1819:
    Mary Ann - age 20 - born Canada
    Orson - age 1 - born Utah
    Temperance - age 30 - born England
    Robert H. - age 19 - born Utah
    Joseph - age 11 - born Utah
    Hannah - age 8 - born Utah
    Elanora - age 6 - born Utah
    Rowena - age 4 - born Utah
    Henry M. - age 2 - born Utah
    Edmond - age 2 months - born Utah.
    Residence - Weber River Valley, Weber, Utah Territory

1880 United States Federal Census - includes Henry Moon
    Mary Ann - age 30 - born Cannada
    Orson - age 11 - born Utah
    Amanda J - age 8 - born Utah
    William - age 6 - born Utah
    Charles H. - age 4 - born Utah
    Eliza A. - age 2 - born Utah
    Florence - age 2 months - born Utah
    Residence - Farmingham, Davis, Utah.

No trace of Temperance and the other children from 1870.

No census availble for 1890.

Henry Moon appears to have died 14 November 1894.

Mary Ann takes another husband on 17 January 1900.

Need I say more?

Coromandel

Don't forget the power of Google. Searching for "Henry Moon" Utah brings up this page from the FamilySearch catalogue, about a book called 'The family of Henry Moon: Mormon pioneer, 1819-1894' . . . and a link to a downloadable PDF:

https://www.
    familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno =1350538&disp=The+family+of+Henry+Moon

It took a long time to download but was worth the wait: there are photos of Henry and two of his wives, for example.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Don't forget the power of Google. Searching for "Henry Moon" Utah brings up this page from the FamilySearch catalogue, about a book called 'The family of Henry Moon: Mormon pioneer, 1819-1894' . . . and a link to a downloadable PDF:

https://www.
    familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno =1350538&disp=The+family+of+Henry+Moon

It took a long time to download but was worth the wait: there are photos of Henry and two of his wives, for example.
    Thanks for the tip - not sure if it will be relevant to my family - but will keep it in mind

Colin

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thanks for the tip - not sure if it will be relevant to my family - but will keep it in mind

Colin
    Oh, I thought from #4 that you were interested in Henry Moon and his wives. Never mind, it is an interesting read even if they're nothing to do with you.

Edit: if you think there may be some connection, why not pm me with details of names/dates? The book has a comprehensive index so I can soon tell you if it mentions anyone you're looking for.

Coromandel

if you think there may be some connection, why not pm me with details of names/dates? The book has a comprehensive index so I can soon tell you if it mentions anyone you're looking for.
    I am signing off now as it's past my bedtime. I've saved a copy of the book just in case you want a look-up. Good night!

Colin Rowledge

I am signing off now as it's past my bedtime. I've saved a copy of the book just in case you want a look-up. Good night!
    Sleep tight - will see you tomorrow.

Colin Rowledge

Default Salt Lake County Index to Probate Case Files

The above was found on Ancestry - years 1852-1881 - case #2566 - subject Estate.

It involves a lady by the name of Mary White Elvers. She was a Mormon and had been as of 1880 censu, been involved with a Tinner by the name of Carl Elvers - a German - who had been a resident since 1859. She and Carl had 2 children -1870 and 1874 - but in the census are enumerated as Mary Elvers -age 50 - single the 2 children - surname White and Carl age 46 - Married. In addition there is another child - indicated as her son - name E.R. Brotherwood.- age 5.

Mary died 5 February 1897. Her death record states her full name as Mary Rivers White Elvers. Rivers was her maiden name and White was her husband who died in England in 1860.

What I would like to know are the circumstance of the case. How can I find such details?

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast