Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Is William down as Henry in 1871, grandson aged 8 with John & Christiana? - RG10/2246 District 2 p10-11 (No folio numbers in this piece)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    Serious backtracking here:

In 1861 John & Christiana are at Lower Menedue Farm House - RG9/1533 fo20 p14
    I think I have William's mother as Rumoth Trevail, a servant aged 21 at another farm - RG9/1533 fo14 p1
    You've certainly got your teeth into this, Arthur!
    I did a lot of research into Ruhamah about 10 years ago. Ruhamah is, by the way, a name from the Old Testament and I think all the variations in censuses etc are just misspellings.
    I was researching the Trevail family at the time as my husband is descended from Ruhamah's sister, Miriam. John Trevail born 1804 and Christiana were Ruhamah's parents but they didn't marry until 1847, seven years after Ruhamah was born.

I wrote a narrative about this interesting family. Is there any way I can attach a part of that to this thread. It would explain the family situation more succinctly.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

But our ancestor, the John Trevail of the village of Lower Menadue, on the Bugle side of Luxulyan, was born in 1804, lived well into his 80s and was a farmer, possibly of about 21 acres. John had a total of 8 children, by two different women, but his marital
    arrangements were unusual, to say the least. He was quite possibly the black sheep of his family.
    John
    had a ‘liaison’ with a Mary Ann Yelland Varcoe. Banns for the marriage of Mary Ann and John were read in Luxulyan Church during 1836, but no marriage took place. A son, James Varcoe Trevail, was born to John and Mary Ann in 1836 and a second son, Joseph, in 1838. For some reason Mary Ann then left Luxulyan taking her youngest son, Joseph, with her. Sometime prior to 1840 Christiana Knight, twelve years John’s junior, came into the household at Lower Menadue Farm. She was initially a servant and perhaps a carer for young James. She was also possibly a young female relative of John’s mother, Elizabeth Knight. Over the next 11 years John and Christiana became the parents of six more children.

Ruhamah Knight Trevail born 1840
    Reuben Knight Trevail born 1842
    Miriam Trevail Knight born 1844
    Jenifer Trevail born 1849
    Eleanor Trevail born 1850
    Elizabeth Trevail born 1851

On 3 August 1845 there was a ‘job lot’ baptism in Luxulyan Church of four of John’s children. The church baptism records clarify the children’s mothers. James’ mother is named as ‘Mary Ann Varcoe – spinster’ and the mother of Ruhamah, Reuben and Miriam is ‘Christiana Knight – spinster’. John acknowledged paternity of all of these children. In 1847 the banns for the marriage of John and Christiana were read and they married on 19th May 1847, thereby making the youngest three children the only legitimate children of John Trevail.

All the children of John and Christiana born after their marriage in 1847 have Trevail very definitely as their surname. Some of the earlier ones seem to be legally Knights but always referred to as Trevails, but the two names seem to swop positions regularly!

John and Christiana are both buried at Luxulyan. Christiana died in 1882 aged 66 and John died 11 years later aged 89. He lived the last few years of his life with his daughter Jenifer and her family, who had moved into Lower Menadue Farm.

Ruhamah born 1840

Ruhamah went into service but had an illegitimate son, William Henry Knight, on 26th June 1862. The boy’s father is not named on his birth certificate. As an eight year old this boy lived with his grandparents, Christiana and John, while his mother continued to be in service. Later, while employed as a china clay labourer, he boarded with his mother’s sister, Jenifer, her husband John Folley and their growing young family. There is no record of Ruhamah after the 1871 census. Did she marry, emigrate like her half-brother, die, change her name? Who knows?

Ruhamah’s name comes from the Old Testament. Ruhamah was the daughter of Hosea and Gomer – a woman who ‘played the harlot’ and whose children were ‘the children of whoredoms’. Perhaps it was a hard name to live with.

Ruhamah’s son, known as Henry Trevail, married a girl called Mary and by 1891 was living with her and their three year old son, John, in Thistle Park Cottages, Cattedown, Plymouth. Henry was working as a gas stoker, presumably at the Coxside Gas Works, with his cousin, Tom Trevail. He died in 1939 and is buried in Luxulyan Churchyard.

Hi Jan - thanks for posting all of that. Given the amount you've already done on this, I doubt I'm going to be able to get any further than you have.

I did have another look at the OPC site, though (before I read your post), and saw that they had Ruhamah's baptism with the name spelled Ramoth - another variant to throw into the mix?

I still haven't found her in the 1871 census - do you have the details/reference, please?

1871 Census - ref RG10 2256 90 5 (with the Lander family)

Re. the 1881 Census have been looking at RG11 2292 95 6

Name - R? T,; age -41, single, daughter of farmer; born - N/K"

John Trevail is described as a "Retired farmer" in his Census entry.

1891 - RG12 1816 160 21
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks, helachau. And you could well be on to something with those 1881 and 1891 entries - they certainly fit with what is known, though there could of course be others that they match as well.

Couldn't spot an "R T" or similar in 1901 and 1911.

There was an "E T" in 1891 and 1901, born 1844, but this was an Elfrida Trevail (full names in the 1911).

"R T" certainly a possibility.

The institution records appear to be at Cornwall Record Office. Some of them are at Ancestry, but not for all years, and I didn't spot her there.

I checked for the Cornwall Record's Office catalogue (had spotted Ancestry covered 1870-75 admissions only - though I don't subscribe)) but the link I was given via google kept leading me to the National Archives - which in turn confirmed the records were with the Cornwall Records Office.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, you've found her in 1871....sometimes called Ruama, sometimes Ruanna. A servant for the family of Christopher Lander in Churchtown, St Wenn, St Columb Major, Cornwall. I found her here about 10 years ago but then drew a blank. No death listing, no marriage listing. Her half-brother James Varcoe Trevail had emigrated to USA by 1871 - his wife and young family following a little later, so I wondered whether she went too, but could find no trace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast