Knowledgeable and helpful

Default getting Irish certificates help!

I am trying to get a certificate for James Finney born Kilnagranagh, Cloneen, Resident, Ireland in 1886
    I have a record index Oct-Nov-Dec Callan dist. Vol 4 page 492. But both the online form and the download form from the general reg office and the Health service exec don't have anywhere to put in the reference. They ask for address and hospital which I don't know and datge of birth, which other than the index I don't know. I am not even 100% sure I have the right parents (William & Mary) but I would like to see the certificate without having to pay any additional search fee (seeing as how I have the reference). Can anyone help?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I have given them a phone call before, and have done it that way. Try it, they are usually quite obliging. But take into account, tea and dinner breaks before phoning.

Steve.

pattenwalsh

Hi Zen Rabbit,A check on rootsireland.ie for a James Finney born 1886 Tipperary,Fathers name William gives 1 hit but with mothers name Mary added then gives no hit.Interestingly changing the name mary to maria produces a hit.This is usually because some priests at that time used latin names for people.I have one great great grandmother who was Mary,Maria and Marian on her various childrens baptisms.
    I've ordered loads of birth certs from roscommon over the last 4 years,Just write in the Address of Place of Birth (Hospital/Home): Callan,Oct-Dec 1886, Vol 4 page 492.And just fill in birth surname and forename and tick "photocopy" as the requirement.You do have to pay by credit card and ,I usually fax the application to them.It's no quicker in getting a reply but I do at least know that its got there!

Actually that is bang on. William Finney married Maria Malkin in 1867. I was thinking of Mary because his parents and grandparents were both William & Mary. I'll get that certificate

Just to let folks know I got the certificate and it was bang on! Thanks for your help on this. Certificate arrived even quicker than the GRO ones!
    James's father William was a caretaker for a law corporation according to the cert. at Kilenagrana, Co. Tipperary. Now all I have to do is find out which law firm it was

sorry read that wrong it should have been "LAND corporation"