AJMilstead

Lightbulb Edward E. Milstead's life in Bethersden 1656-

Did my Edward E. Milstead born 1656 in Bethersden have family? He had an occupation called Lath-clever around age 15. He got into some trouble year 1671 and was transported to English Colonies by 1674 where he was indentured and later started a new life. Did he leave behind loved ones to never see them again? If he was an orphan, who raised Edward in England?

Jan1954

Hello again Angela,

My maiden name was MILSTED (without the "a") and I have undertaken a fair bit of research into my family history. If you click on the link in my signature, it will take you through to my tree so that you can have a rummage and see if there are any names that could be familiar to you.

I am aware that an Edward MILSTEAD went to America back in the 17th century, but have yet to find any links to my branch of the family.

By the way, what is the source for your Edward to have been born in Bethersden and living in Pluckley (from your Introduction), please?

Thank you,

AJMilstead

Oh my, I just discovered that the Edward in these indictments cannot be the the same person. The name has a different spelling;the occupations are different and the dates are 17 years apart.
    Indictments of Edward Milstead of Bethersden, labourer, for burglary. On 7 Apr. 1671...Found guilty on both counts; prayed clergy and afterwards to be transported. [mm. 68,69] It has been told that Edward was deported by the Maidstone Assizes in March of 1674. During 5 years of indenture Edward made shoes.
    Indictment of ...Edward Milsted, lath-cleaver...(naming numerous other men with occupations) for trespass. On 22 June 1654 they assembled riotously at Pluckley,forcibly entered a close in the possession of Israel Tong,rector of Pluckley,and cut down and carried away 5 oaks. [m. 77]
    Trial Jury for...(5 people)...Edward Milstednames numerous jurors) [m. 70]

AJMilstead

Arrow Angela Milstead Messa

Revised query......Previously had two Edwards information tangled up.
    Researching Edward E. Milstead born about 1656 in Bethersden, Kent, England. The indictment stated his occupation as labourer. I have found Edward's descendants from 1674 to present in U.S. Still don't know if Edward left family behind. Was he an orphan? I read that many Parish Registers of Kent were lost. There was a Civil War 1640's-1661 in Kent.
    Edward was deported in March 1674; bound for Jamaica or Barbados originally but, obtained an indenture at Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland (English Colonies) with William Chandler. During his five years of indenture he made shoes. After the five years of indenture, Edward began tobacco farming on his 50-acre allotment, and became rather successful. He went on to marry three times and had children from three wives. Many of the Milsteads, Millsteads, Milsteds and Milstids in the United States descended from this one man.

Jan1954

Have you seen the MILSTEAD Genealogy Home page here?
    https://
    familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/i/l/Robert-B-Milstead/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0056.html

richard40

The oaks would have been useful to a Lath Cleaver, a person engaged in splitting Lath's from timber for building purposes.
    The reason perhaps they stole them?.

janbooth

This could be worth a punt. The National Archives has a will downloadable for £3.50 for Anne MILSTED, widow, of Bethersden, Kent dated 9 February 1669. It may give you some clues as to the MILSTED family at that time.

Janet

cr milstead

Aj, i have quite a list of Edwards family. I am, I believe the 10 generation descendent of Edward. Edward landed in Port Tobacco maryland in Prince charles county Maryland as an indentured servent, which he spent 5 years as. He was a cobbler, which is why his sentence was only 5 years. after that, he became a well-off farmer/planter.
    I have him married to Sussanah Clark and they had one son William, my line. he allso married Elizabeth Ward and they had 5 children. he lastly married Mary Ward? Shader. they had no children.
    all lived in Charles county and most died there as well.
    My line settled in south east Ohio, starting with Powhatan Neuman Milstead, born in 1802. Some of that line still live in Ohio.
    cr milstead

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default RE: Milsteads in Bethersden, Kent

I don't know if this will help clarify or further muddle the question, but there was also a William Milstead in Bethersden, who was commissioned to build a wooden chest by St. Margaret's Church in 1625. For this service, he was paid eight shillings. (And is still in use to this day!)
    Based on the dates involved, could William be the father of the Edward who was involved in the theft of the oak trees from the Rector's Close at Pluckley in 1655? Further, could that Edward then be the father of the Edward who was accused of stealing coins, gingerbread and two nutmegs from Martha Tabley in 1671? The dates would seem to fit.

Hi I been doing research and I can’t find it either but I found paper docs and that one of the milstead married into a family that are descendants of the tudors and Mary queen of scots so if I really concentrate and not get distracted I may be able to look at Edwards sons wife’s family to see if they are related somehow because my great grand parents were cousins so I may now knowing I’m not the only one looking!