Cockney-Sparra

Default CONFUSION REGARDING ALLEN LANGSTON!

Hi,

My paternal Gt Grandmother- Martha Ann Langston was born in Stayleybridge, Manchester, England- Sept 1840.

Her younger brother- Allen Langston is on the 1841 census as being 1 Month old.
    (His birth is registered- Apr/May/Jun 1841)
    Martha is 7 Months old.

There is only 6 months difference in their ages, this isn't possible, surely?

Even if their mother conceived him straight after Martha was born? I doubt a baby born 3 months premature could've survived back in those days?

He died in the Dec and was buried in Stayleybridge on the 28th Dec 1841.
    The burial register has him at 1/12 yrs old but he would've only been 9 months old.

I'm really confused as to how he and my Gt Grandmother could've been siblings born just 6 months apart?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1841 Census does not tell you the relationships between individuals in particular households, and looking at the large number of older girls in the house one of these could be the mother of one or more of the infants.

The only way that you will know for sure is to buy both birth certificates.

Loves to help with queries

Cheshire BMD has Martha Ann Langston registered 1840-1845 mother’s maiden name Appleton.
    Allen Langston is registered in the same year span with mother’s maiden name is Langston
    In 1837-1839 John Walter Langston is registered with mother’s maiden name Appleton.

Cockney-Sparra

Quote Originally Posted by loobylou View Post
    Cheshire BMD has Martha Ann Langston registered 1840-1845 mother’s maiden name Appleton.
    Allen Langston is registered in the same year span with mother’s maiden name is Langston
    In 1837-1839 John Walter Langston is registered with mother’s maiden name Appleton.
    ahhhhhh so it would seem that Megan's on the right track and one of the older girls was actually Allen's mother?

I know my Gt Grans parents were Charles Langston and Harriet Appleton...

There are 4 older girls- 2 aged 20, 18 and a 15 yr old.

It looks as though there are 2 sets of twins - Maria and William 15/ Sarah and Elizabeth 20 (assuming the ages are correct)

The older siblings were born in Aylesbury, Bucks...

Thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated...