Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Paul Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Robert BARGE jnr, Engraver, is in the 1841 census of Salford (HO107/585/4, folio 14, page 21) living at Mottram Street with wife Phoebe.
    Took me a while to find this as BARGE was transcribed BAYE!

Married after Banns / 24th November 1840 / Manchester st John's
    Robert BARGE / full / Bachelor / Engraver / Manchester / Robert BARGE / Engraver
    Phebe STEAR / full / Spinster / Manchester / Robert STEAR / Butcher[?]
    Witnesses: Robert STEAR & Sarah STEAR

Paul

Thank you all for your input. Yes I do think that the Robert Barge who married Phoebe was probably the witness at Sarah's wedding.
    I have also tried to trace all the Barge families through the years in the hope of finding the two children with relations with no luck.

Here is an update on the elusive Barge family.

I recently found a second marriage for William Barge soon after the death of his first wife Frances. He married 17 year old Emma Jane Jones, daughter of Ambrose & Mary Ann Jones on September 22nd 1842 in St Chad, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. I have deduced, using the GRO index, that they had the following children.

Frances Elizabeth Barge b 1845 Bath reg. d 1852 Strand reg.
    William Henry Robert Barge b 1852 Strand reg. d 1853 Marylebone reg.
    Frederick William Francis Barge b 1854 Marylebone reg. d 1858 St Pancras reg.
    Louisa Maud Barge b 1858 St Pancras reg. d 1858 St Pancras reg.

Frederick & Louisa are both buried in Victoria Park Cemetery, Hackney – residence 2 Frederick St, Regents Park.

I would be interested if anyone could find baptism records for any of these children to confirm that William & Emma are indeed their parents.

I am sure that Frances is their daughter as I have found the family in 1851 living in Wells St, Marylebone under the name of Barnes. William is a musician & Emma a vocalist. William’s son Thomas is with them as well as 5 year old Frances. Sarah still remains elusive in 1851.

In 1861 William & Emma, still going under the name of Barnes, are in Stockport, Cheshire – William is a vocalist & violinist & Emma is a vocalist.
    Thomas Barnes, a 21 year old mariner, is a boarder in Tower Hamlets & Sarah A Barnes is a domestic servant living in Marylebone.

Emma died in 1870 in Yorkshire & is buried in the Burngreave Cemetery in Sheffield.

I can’t find any further information on William after this either on the 1871 census or death or newspaper records, does anyone have any ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12