Loves to help with queries

Default Burnmouth and Covington confusion

I am trying to find where some Ancestors were buried. They appear to have lived in the Covington, Lanarks area. Their deaths were registered in Burnmouth in the Parish of Covington. This puzzles me as Burnmouth is about 80 miles from Covington. Does anyone know if Burnmouth was ever considered to be in the parish of Covington?

I have the Lanarkshire Monumental inscriptions book which contains records for what seems to be all the graveyards local to Covington and cannot find them. If they died in Burnmouth, where were they most likely buried?

Their names are David Newlands ( died 1807) and his wife Agnes Gibson ( died 1825)
    Thank you for any help.

Also I am happy to look up any M.I.s from my Lanarkshire or Peebleshire M.I. books pre 1855

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello there

On the OS map there is a property Burnmouth, close to Thankerton Bridge just south of Covington, off the Covington Road - sounds possible?

The death for David in 1807 in Covington is a parish record as this is before civil registration - so I would guess that he was probably buried at Covington churchyard. What exactly is written on the record? There may not ever have been a headstone, or it may have become illegible over time.

Loves to help with queries

That makes much more sense thank you so much! I had been stuck with thinking Burnmouth must be referring to the town miles away.

The records are Covington parish Death Records and say "April 3 1807 David Newlands Indweller in Burnmouth died" and "1825 July 6 Agnes Gibson relict of the late David Newlands, Burnmouth died."

As I can't find them in the monumental inscriptions book for Covington and thereabouts, as you say it sounds likely there was no headstone or it has got damaged.

Thank you very much for your kindness. It will now be interesting to find the property Burnmouth.

Famous for offering help & advice

You may have found it by now. If not - OS maps available online with Bing maps. Search for Thankerton and then choose Ordnance Survey Map rather than Road. Can't remember if I had to zoom. Only a section of the map is there so I couldn't tell the grid ref.
    Once you have found the property on the OS map you can use Google maps to see it on street view.