Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mrsandrea

Default Samuel Cohen and Theresa Ascher

I looked again at the details of the marriage license of my great, great grandparents Samuel Cohen, and Theresa Ascher who were married in Birmingham on 5 Feb. 1868. The name of the minister on the marriage certificate is Moses Berlyn or Berlin; secretary is Moses Hollander, witness Nathan Cohen. The name of Theresa is spelled incorrectly it is ASCHER not Asher. Her address reads York Street, Spinster.
    On Samuel reads bachelor, Tailor address is difficult to read: 5 Hacks or Hicks Square Market Sq. My question is I am trying to see if their parents were living at these addresses.

Samuel Cohen's parents were Nettie and Ezekiel Cohen (on his death record the name says Chaskel)
    Theresa's parents were Michael Jacob Ascher and Pauline. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I am searching online directories.

First of all can I suggest that you put a new post with the heading "Samuel Cohen and Theresa Ascher" because that is the focus of your enquiry. The reference to the Minister is not specifically relevant. Interestingly on Ancestry Com there is only 1 reference to Samuel and Theresa in the census. Did he move abroad or change his name. There is also 1 person tree on Ancestry Com which refers toa a Michael Jacob Ascher b 1800 Germany.
    The 1871 Census RG10 311 757 9 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 11 +1 Leuch? St Birmingham
    Samuel Cohen H M 26 Tailor b Germany
    Theresa Cohen wife 25 b Germany
    Nathan Cohen son 23 b Warwick Birmingham
    1 servant

Free BMD Marriage March qtr 1868 Birmingham 6d 215- Samuel Cohen and Teresa ASHER

The reference in a previous post to Historical Directories site relates to the excellent University of Leicester data base which includes a range of trade, commercial and professional directories across England including London. Other sites including family history paid sites also have trade and other directories and the London Gazette Archives also has significant data on individuals who have been traders. There significant other sites which also contain records.
    Phillip

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    First of all can I suggest that you put a new post with the heading "Samuel Cohen and Theresa Ascher" because that is the focus of your enquiry.
    That is an excellent idea, Phillip, but rather than Andrea duplicate the post, I have changed the title of this post. I will send Andrea a PM so that she knows.

Thank you Jan- I have no links to the lines but am happy to support other researchers not least because of the early help I received from others on this site.
    Andrea- I have seen your post on "Posen" Dec 2012. Am I correct in thinking that Samuel and Theresa emigrated first to the UK and then to the USA? I note that you have specific dates for them both- Samuel Cohen 1843-1926 and Theresa Ascher 1847-1931 both from Wreschen Germany. Ancestry Com and does have immigration records but the name changes/spellings of individuals often means they are difficult to locate. I can see on Ancestry Com that some researchers have photographs of Theresa but these are personal and would require a direct contact with the individuals who have the records.
    Phillip

Andrea
    I can see from data on Ancestry Com that Theresa died in NY. Is the family in the 1880 USA Census in New York City with children Lena and Abraham. I will post full details if this is correct but note Samuel's wife is Pauline. I can't see a Nathan.
    As I said in my previous post there are researchers on Ancestry Com who have photographs and other data on your lines and you may wish to contact them direct. None of this data is in the public domain.
    Phillip

mrsandrea

Dear Phillip,
    Thank you. I have all the info you discussed with me except the Michael Jacob Ascher b 1800 Germany from ancestry.com. I subscribe to ancestry but have not found this record. Please share where you found it? Thanks!

mrsandrea

Dear Philip,
    Thank you for your expertise. I added details to my Aschers/Coheen to the new comers forum but not here. My great grandparents Samuel and Theresawere born in Wreschen, Posan (Germany) and moved to Birmingham approximately 1863. They immigrated to New York in 1880. I have all these records in NY including Ellis Island ship manifests, photos, death certificates, tombstone photos. I just got a revelation that Samuel's parents: Nettie Baum Cohen and Ezekiel Cohen, grand children were named after them. In Jewish tradition one names their child taking the letter of the deceased, never living. I am trying to find any records in Birmingham of my 3 rd great grandparents: Ezekiel and Nettie Cohen. Here are the details of the family of Theresa and Samuel
    Theresa Ascher 1847 – 1931 Wife of Samuel Cohen (named changed to Simon in USA)

Nathan Cohen 1869 – 1937 born in Birmingham, England
    Louis Cohen 1870 – 1947 " "
    Philip Cohen 1873 – 1899 named after Pauline Ascher born in Birmingham
    Anna Cohen 1876 – 1939 my great granny whom I am named after
    Esther Cohen 1878 – 1955 (Named after Ezekiel Cohen)
    Morris Cohen 1880 – 1944 Named after Michael Jacob Ascher) Born in New York
    Eden Cohen 1880 – 1880 Born in Birmingham,died coming over to America or in America
    Nettie Cohen 1882 – 1955 named after Nettie Baum Cohen BORN in New York

Thanks again.
    Andrea in California

mrsandrea

Thanks big time! I bought this marriage record from ancestry.com uk and it filled me in with the parents of Samuel and Theresa Ascher Cohen

mrsandrea

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandrea View Post
    I looked again at the details of the marriage license of my great, great grandparents Samuel Cohen, and Theresa Ascher who were married in Birmingham on 5 Feb. 1868. The name of the minister on the marriage certificate is Moses Berlyn or Berlin; secretary is Moses Hollander, witness Nathan Cohen. The name of Theresa is spelled incorrectly it is ASCHER not Asher. Her address reads York Street, Spinster.
    On Samuel reads bachelor, Tailor address is difficult to read: 5 Hacks or Hicks Square Market Sq. My question is I am trying to see if their parents were living at these addresses.

Samuel Cohen's parents were Nettie and Ezekiel Cohen (on his death record the name says Chaskel)
    Theresa's parents were Michael Jacob Ascher and Pauline. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    I am searching online directories.
    ADDING ONE MORE ASHER: DORA ASHER (spelled without the ascher) is traveling to New York in 22 April 1880 & says she was born in England. She also is mentioned in the 1871 Uk Census but named spelled Dora ASH and living with the Cohens. Another mystery. Was this a 1st cousin of Theresa? I only found her in 1 UK Census record. She was born abt. 1853.

I have looked on Free BMD for the deaths of Ezekiel Cohen and his wife Nettie with specific reference to Birmingham location. There are no relevant records and there was only 1 Ezekiel Cohen who died Dec 1881 qtr 1c 159 Bethnal Green age 80 who might be of an appropriate age.What makes you think that Ezekiel and Nettie were in Birmingham. Did they actually come to the UK? Why did Solomon leave for the USA?
    You mentioned Dora Ash in the British Census 1871- can you please cite the record- I can't locate her but may have overlooked something.
    In Doreen Berger's 2 volumes " The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 and 1871-80" Pub 1999 and 2004 Robert Boyd there are various Ascher and Asher families named for example the death of Anna Asher in 1866 Berlin relict of Adolf Asher age 61 and there are Asher connected to the Pyke;Garcia;Beyfus and Engel familes. On the Ascher names there are links to Meseena and Flatau lines.
    Nb I have noted in Berger 1861-70 this entry
    2.5.1870 LIZZIE ASH at the residence of the bride's mother 12 Edgbaston St Birmingham, eldest daughter of the late Joseph ASH to David second son of Mr T Tobias of City Road London- is this a connection to your Ash/Ascher line?
    Also, Berger 1871-80 Marriage 10.9.1879 at the residence of the bride's mother 41 Edgbaston St Birmingham Amelia ASH youngest daughter of Mrs R ASH to Frank BACHNER of 1 and 2 Kirgate Leeds
    Speculating- the Asher family in Birmingham maybe the reason Solomon settled in Birmingam if his wife already had relatives there.

You might want to look more closely at these Ash.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast