Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mrsandrea

Smile Where Did You Find This Revord?

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    First of all can I suggest that you put a new post with the heading "Samuel Cohen and Theresa Ascher" because that is the focus of your enquiry. The reference to the Minister is not specifically relevant. Interestingly on Ancestry Com there is only 1 reference to Samuel and Theresa in the census. Did he move abroad or change his name. There is also 1 person tree on Ancestry Com which refers toa a Michael Jacob Ascher b 1800 Germany.
    The 1871 Census RG10 311 757 9 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 11 +1 Leuch? St Birmingham
    Samuel Cohen H M 26 Tailor b Germany
    Theresa Cohen wife 25 b Germany
    Nathan Cohen son 23 b Warwick Birmingham
    1 servant

Free BMD Marriage March qtr 1868 Birmingham 6d 215- Samuel Cohen and Teresa ASHER

The reference in a previous post to Historical Directories site relates to the excellent University of Leicester data base which includes a range of trade, commercial and professional directories across England including London. Other sites including family history paid sites also have trade and other directories and the London Gazette Archives also has significant data on individuals who have been traders. There significant other sites which also contain records.
    Phillip
    I overlooked this message. Can you tell me where you found "There is also 1 person tree on Ancestry Com which refers to a Michael Jacob Ascher b 1800 Germany". thisnrecord on Ancestry? Michael Jacob Ascher is my 3rd great grandfather Thank you.

Andrea
    Last edited by mrsandrea; 23-07-2013 at 5:13 AM. Reason: Typos.

Andrea
    I have seen the full GRO Marriage Certificate for Samuel and Teresa married in 1868 which you have posted on your blog. In answer to your query regarding Ancestry Com family trees relating to Michael Jacob Ascher there are now 4 which are all private. This means you would have to contact the individuals who hold the trees and request permission to access the records. Three of the trees have the dob for Michael as 1800 and one has 1818. There is no way of knowing the quality or accuracy of the records until you see them yourself. The accuracy of surname spellings is variable as you know and you may want to look more widely for Asher to keep all options open.
    Phillip

mrsandrea

Thanks for all your help. Those private trees are mine and my cousins. A German Jewish genealogist looked up records for in Germany and gave me so much valuable information.

mrsandrea

I NEED help ordering the correct birth certificate of my Great Grandmother Annie Cohen who was born in Birmingham I believe in 1869 or 1870. She always went by the name Annie not Ann. Her death certificate (filled out by her husband) and her gravestone has the WRONG birth record and says March 14,1876. Annie Cohen is mentioned in the 1871 UK Census, daughter of Samuel and Theresa Cohen was being 1 years old. I only found 1 birth certificate on https://www.freebmd.org.uk and ancestry.com that states she was born in Jan-March 1869. The confusing part is her brother Nathan is listed as also being born in Jan 1869 (his gravestone says Jan 5, 1869 which is in NY) Last question. Does it matter of the Census order? In the 1871 Census, the servant Julia Boyne is listed BEFORE Annie Cohen. I am emailing [email protected] . I was told to ask for an ORIGINAL scan not a new one. Any help would be appreciated. Andrea

I came across a Frank Bachner in Leeds as part of my family history story.
    In 1871 unmarried and a fancy goods merchant.
    Can you add any more ? I see he was mentioned in 2013 in one of your postings

TONY B

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Tony
    If msandrea still has the the same email address they will receive notification of your post and will hopefully get back to you

In a very late answer to mrsandrea I am posting this birth reg so even though they most likely have it now anyone else catching this post will see it.
    Hannah Cohen June 1/4 1870 registration district Birmingham vol 6d page 134 Mother's maiden name Usher.
    As Philip said the accuracy of surname spellings is variable as you know and you may want to look more widely for Asher to keep all options open.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12