Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guy Etchells

Question Should churches be locked?

Living in Yorkshire where many churches are kept locked as opposed to rural Leicestershire, where much of my research is based and most churches are unlocked I have often asked myself -Should churches be locked ever?

I consider that a church is used as a place of solace and worship for many and should be always unlocked to allow for access.

Others argue that if a church was left unlocked then theives and vandals would run amok.
    Cheers
    Guy

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Default And Lincolnshire!

A few years ago on the return from Yorkshire, using the scenic route, I stopped off in Donington in Holland. The church was locked but a sign on the door said that the keys were available from Blank. What would seem to have been a rota had obviously fallen into disuse. So on to Helpringham. again locked, but this time no sign. I stopped a passerby, who turned out to be Church Warden, and asked if it was possible to obtain the keys and if so, did he know who had them? This elicited the reply "Yes, but I'm not tellling you. It's people like you who steal things." Charming.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    I consider that a church is used as a place of solace and worship for many and should be always unlocked to allow for access.
    Absolutely. Faith is about taking a risk and about trust and I feel that we have bought into a culture of fear when we lock our churches.

Up until 4 years ago (when we moved) I spent an afternoon a week making this possible in the suburban church we attended at the time as the members would only accept the church being open if someone was there. I sat at the back and read or sewed.

Quite a variety of people came in during that time - including some of the 'undesirables' I was probably supposed to keep out. Some people noticed me sitting there, others didn't. Some people came in for a chat, others came in just to sit. One lady brought flowers every year on the anniversary of her baby's death. When the church was closed she left them on the doorstep. Some brought opened beer cans in and smelled the worse for drink. But in all that time I never remember feeling threatened in any way.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 03-08-2005 at 10:11 PM.

coenmfam

I think that it is sad when we see locked churches
    or any place of worship for that matter
    Mosques, Synagogues, Temples .....

There have been break-ins to a few churches here
    sometimes it's musical gear, sometimes the brassware
    sometimes it's just to vandalise something

it's something I don't understand
    Neville

Guy Etchells

I would have thought that it was just those undesirables that a christian church was keen to attract.
    "I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance." (Luke 15:7)

If undesirables are being turned away from churches then the churches are not doing the job they are there for.
    Cheers
    Guy

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    I would have thought that it was just those undesirables that a christian church was keen to attract.
    Yes Guy - they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by coenmfam
    sometimes it's just to vandalise something
    it's something I don't understand
    I agree, Neville - vandalism seems senseless at the best of times

Quote Originally Posted by coenmfam
    I think that it is sad when we see locked churches
    or any place of worship for that matter
    Mosques, Synagogues, Temples .....
    I have more sympathy with Mosques & Synagogues being closed as I'm afraid that events have shown that people's lives are genuinely at risk. But if our only worry in keeping our churches open is about vandalism & theft then, upsetting and a financial problem though that is, I believe that people are more important than things. And people need the churches to be open. Sadly the church I attend at the moment is one of the many locked churches.

Mary.

PS - It has been my experience over the years tht locking a church doesn't stop vandalism though it probably does stop theft.
    Last edited by mary elms; 04-08-2005 at 8:39 AM. Reason: To add a post script

Geoffers

I can understand the reaction, that if a church has been subject to attack or is in a high crime area, that those responsible for its upkeep may feel that it's best to lock the church - there may even be some requirement by the Insurers.

However, I think it's the wrong reaction - In my experience, it just means damage is caused should someone want to break in. Vandals/thieves who are intent on crime, if they cannot get into a locked church are more likely to damage windows and/or headstones.

Leaving on display within a church items which may be stolen is another matter. Anything from pieces of Tudor armour, stolen from Westwell Church; to pieces of tesserae, taken by 'souvenir hunters' from Widford Church (built on top of a Roman Villa) and all things in between, do need to be effectively stored when the church is empty.

Geoffers

BeeE586

What a vexed question, with no obvious answer ! Ideally, yes, churches should be open at least during the day, but perhaps not for twenty four hours. Ideally, in the time that they are open, no-one would enter to steal, vandalize, urinate or leave used condoms, all of which I have known. Ideally, there should perhaps be someone in attendance to speak to visitors, to offer comfort if needed, to tell the history of the church if asked or simply to deter anyone from undesirable behaviour.

In practice, how is this to be achieved especially in small country parishes ? Is it the responsibility of the incumbent or churchwardens to organize rotas for opening, or this yet another job to be passed on to the 'little old ladies' of the parish ? Many incumbents now have responsibility for two or more parishes, sometimes with very small congregations - are they expected to spend the day going from church to church to ensure that the building is open and safe from harm ?

I had a cousin in rural Lincolnshire who had seven parishes and five churches in her care, and she took a Communion service on Sunday at each church in turn - average attendance seven or eight, average age over seventy. They were villages where schools, garages and shops had closed, public transport had been drastically reduced, young people either moved out or commuters only - she would have loved the churches to be open, but there was no way.

continued

BeeE586

Yes, I am Devil's Advocate, but the situation in which my cousin found herself must be repeated the length and breadth of the country. Ideally churches should be open, in practice it is very, very difficult.

Perahps some of the people who would like to see them open have some suggestions that do not involve the 'little old ladies of the parish' who seem to undertake every other job from cleaning to flower arranging to making the coffee and washing up after morning service.

Eileen

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers

Leaving on display within a church items which may be stolen is another matter. Anything from pieces of Tudor armour, stolen from Westwell Church; to pieces of tesserae, taken by 'souvenir hunters' from Widford Church (built on top of a Roman Villa) and all things in between, do need to be effectively stored when the church is empty.

Geoffers
    Agreed Geoffers. Harty Church on the Island where I live, had a very valuable, oak muniment chest, said to date from 14th century, stolen in 1987.
    The church is in a very remote part of the Island, but is very interesting historic-wise. This chest was very heavy and I don't suppose anyone thought it possible to move, although it had been loaned to various museums over the years. Luckily, it was taken to an auction house to be sold and a keen eyed person spotted it and the police were called. Nowadays it is surrounded by a metal security screen, and the church is only opened for special occasions.

In case anyone is interested in this story you can read all about it here:

https://www.sheppey.free-online.co.uk...hes/harty.html

I also think it is sad that we are unable to pop into a church when we fancy, but thanks to the `senior citizens' that man a lot of these, this is often possible. Mind you, it mostly occurs in famous, or well talked about churches, but not in the remote parts where people wander, stumble across an interesting church and want to have a look inside, only to find the door locked. That's life today I guess.

Glenys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast