Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jeeb

Cool Closed Churches

Sadly it seems to be a reflection on society these days that many churches need to be locked to help prevent vandalism ane theft. Provided a notice is available to where the key can be obtained from I for one can accept this as a necessary hinderance. It is however, as a genealogist, a wonderful feeling to go and visit a church and the door still freely opens to welcome you.
    What I do object strongly to, and it has happened to me on a couple of occasions, is when I make a special journey to visit a church and it is closed for a non religious function. On one occasion I made a special detour to visit a church in Cornwall to find it locked as a flower festival was being put on the next day, despite my pleading and telling the woman, who seemed to have taken on the role of St Peter, that by the next day I would be 200 miles away, she refused to budge. On another occasion I was refused entry into a church unless I handed over £5 entry fee to the maritime exibition taking place in the church. I wanted to see the church where a marriage had taken place not an exhibition. Churches are meant to be God's house and although I agree money has to be raised for their upkeep, no individual has any right to bar another from free entry.

BeeE586

To Busyglen - Thank you for putting details of your church on the Forum, much enjoyed reading it, and with Anglo Saxon parts no less. You were surprised that your heavy muniments chest could be taken - two complete fireplaces were chipped out and removed from the seventeenth century Rectory in the next village to me, both about 9 by 7 feet. The building was unoccupied at the time having been put up for sale. In another incident almost all the lead was stripped from the church roof, but of course no one saw or heard anything in either case. As you say, typical of the times in which we live.

I am so pleased the chest was recovered, we are still missing a Bishop's Chair and a table believed to be sixteenth century.

Eileen

Ken Boyce

As much as I would like to see them open I'm with you on this Eileen

In my opinion far too much time, effort, money, and resorces are expended by local congregations on the fabric and structure of the 'church' to the detriment of the spiritual side. Congregations have the burden of the upkeep of the building which in the case of some of our local churches here in Vancouver are regularly plundered for anything removable, even during the day. These drug crazed individuals, girls and their Johns, kids for kicks, etc. have not the ability to distinguish between theft and vandalism or what I was taught to believe is desecration. Do we also have to put up with shatterproof coverings on the inside of heritage windows as well as those on the outside? How unattractive is a bare altar Poor boxes have become strong boxes. Let alone putting some kindly volunteer at risk.

I may be quoting the extreme metropolitan case but any increased burden for what is more than just an inconvenience for the local congregation is in my opinion unfair.

It is interesting and not politically correct to ponder the fact that in the bad old days of excommunication, burning at the stake, and transportation, the churches could leave their doors wide open with impunity. Who has gone astray the church or society?

To be continued in a lighter vain

Ken Boyce

Default Should I be locked out!

A number of years ago I was on a tour of local communities with a large symphony orchestra. One of the gigs was a performance in a somewhat small Cathedral. We arrived at the Cathedral sometime after lunch to set up and rehearse prior to the concert. The Cathedral dignitaries appeared to be quite perturbed at the size of the orchestra and the amount of equipment that needed to be accomodated (I guess they were used to having ensembles and not full blown Symphony Orchestras).

Before being allowed to set up and rehearse the full orchestra was treated at length to a lecture by a senior church official on how, what, and where we could or could not arrange the orchestra and equipment. In particular the Sanctuary, marked by a low carved stone balustrade, was well and truly declared off-limits. Even the passionate pleadings of our Conductor could not get any major concessions from this unwinged, demonic, messenger of God.

As a result of all of this the orchestra was laid out in an unusual manner with the Tymps and other banging and plucking stuff well to the side and for once well away from us brass players. The brasses were as usual treated as a necessary evil and I was squeezed into a tiny space tight against the sanctuary balustrade.

During the rehearsal the call of nature came upon me so during a long tacit period I decided to slip away to the boys’ room. It was then that I realized there was just no way unless a large number of musicians let me through (just like being seated in the theatre and bobbing up and down to let someone by only more so because of the added complication of what to do with the instruments). An impossible situation with no sign of a break in rehearsal.

I suffered in agony for some further period of time greatly cursing the on route sampling of the local brews. However, the thought of the upcoming Tchaikovsky on an extended bladder was enough to force me to slip over the balustrade into the Sanctuary whilst everyone was busy.

I was halfway across the Sanctuary when the angelic like voice of our lovely female Timpanist came floating across the stunning acoustics of the Cathedral at a decibel level above the sotto voce murmurings of the orchestral strings sufficient for all to hear – even God himself -

“God will get you for that Ken – God will get you”

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Boyce
    It is interesting and not politically correct to ponder the fact that in the bad old days of excommunication, burning at the stake, and transportation, the churches could leave their doors wide open with impunity. Who has gone astray the church or society?
    At the risk of seeming a raging liberal, I do hope you're not advocating the return of burning at the stake as a cure for the evils in modern society? You must surely be aware of the adverse effect this would have on global warming??

Geoffers

GeoffD

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    At the risk of seeming a raging liberal, I do hope you're not advocating the return of burning at the stake as a cure for the evils in modern society? You must surely be aware of the adverse effect this would have on global warming??

Geoffers
    Love your work, Geoffers!

busyglen

Eileen, glad you enjoyed reading about the church. It is very small and of course very old, in fact this summer they are actually installing electricity!!

Glenys

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

"At the risk of seeming a raging liberal, I do hope you're not advocating the return of burning at the stake as a cure for the evils in modern society? You must surely be aware of the adverse effect this would have on global warming??

Geoffers"

From an Environmental point of view, or at least land usage point of view, then perhaps we could take a leaf out of the "Deferred Success" school of thought and have the best of both worlds with "Anticipated Cremation"

On the serious side, I made a mistake when I went Lincolnshire as I didn't do a bit of homework and arrange a mutually convenient time to view the churches. I was after photos of some MIs. However, if I had wanted to go in to pray, contemplate, etc that would have been a different kettle of fish. Perhaps an answer to the latter point is to have modern day equivalents to the Lepers' cells/holes?? so that one could be in the church with all that implies and yet the contents would be safe from casual pilfering.

Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

BeeE586

Lincolnshire has been mentioned in these posts, unfortunately with rather a bad press. For a couple of years during my summer sojourn in that county I toured the inland villages recording War Memorials. As you probably know, this was a scheme organized by (I think) the War Graves Commission to find out the condition of the memorials, to learn the size, shape and Map Reference of same, the material of which they were made, responsibility for upkeep and any other details. And, of course, names.

Many of these were either in churches or in the churchyard, and I met with nothing but kindness wherever I went. I have had afternoon tea with a Vicar's wife, morning coffee with a Churchwarden, three churches were especially opened for me when I 'phoned to enquire about access. One lady actually drove out from the next hamlet whilst I waited for her to arrive. I got a potted history of the village from an old farmer - the church was virtually in his farmyard and he kept the key. At some I was told, 'If you can come on such a day, someone will be there doing flowers, cleaning or whatever.' I went one Friday to a church which was being decorated for a wedding the following day, and I could go on.

Some churches were open, with or without an attendant, but over and over again I was told 'We would like to keep the church open but ......' and I would hear a sad catalogue of some sort of desecration or vandalism.

They were happy days and I got to see churches connected with my Lincolnshire families as well as doing what seemed a worthwhile task and meeting so many nice people. An added bonus was sampling lunch at as many local hostelries as I could.

Please, if you want to visit a Lincolnshire church (or indeed any other church), just ask and I am sure you will also be received with courtesy as was I.

Eileen

PS Actually, by far the easiest way to visit any church is to go to a service.
    Last edited by BeeE586; 05-08-2005 at 1:19 PM. Reason: left out a bit

Rdlester

Our church here in Indiana is always locked when not in use for services. There is an elderly lady who used to play the organ at the church. She would lock herself in when she came during the week to practice. I was always glad she did. We had a burglar alarm installed at the church too. Also there were several church arson cases in rural areas here a few years ago. It is truly sad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast