Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arnott

CraigArnott

Thanks Linda for your message.

I list below what I have found from the census information for Cumberland. As this list is quite long I have a question for you and some of the other contributors to the forum: do you have a source for your information about David Arnot & Ann Hudspith being married in 1808 in Haltwhistle, Northumberland? I would be very interested to lear about any records or research about this.

1841 CENSUS
    David Arnot (65) Lodging Keeper, Aspatria
    Ann Arnot (50)
    Margaret Arnot (14)
    Abraham Arnot (13)
    George Arnot (8)

There are two other Arnotts listed at a different address (Blennerh..? St) but as being born in the county
    David Arnott (20)
    Sarah Arnott(20)

1851 CENSUS (30 March)
    Abraham Arnott (22) Head of household, William St
    Jane (22) Wife
    George (1)

There are two other Arnotts listed separately. The man I believe is my GG Grandfather is:

George Arnott (18) (born Aspatria) Farm servant
    George is listed as living with the Cape family on a 62 acre farm, Kirkland.

There is also this entry for an Ann living is Aspatria:
    Ann Arnott (35) (born Aspatria) Head of household

It is interesting that this Ann appears in this census but not in 1841. I believe she may be the daughter of David and the elder Ann. She is listed as "proprietor" and living with lodgers. Her age would mean she was born about 1815 or 1816.

1861 CENSUS
    George does not appear in the census which makes sense if my research is right as my GG Gdad George arrived in Melbourne in 1855. The other Arnotts listed are:

Abraham Arnott (32) Joiner & cartwright, Ellenborough (born Aspatria)
    Jane (32) Wife
    David (9)
    Jeremiah (7)
    Alexander (6)
    John (4)
    Jane (3)

There are two other Arnott families listed headed by a John and Sarah who may also be Abraham's elder siblings or at least cousin

John Arnott (49) (born Aspatria), Joiner & Farmer of 60 acres, Plumbland
    Isabella Arnott (47) Wife
    David Thomas (26) Son, Joiner & farmer of 60 acres
    John (23), Ploughman
    Edward (21) Tailor
    Joseph (15) Pupil teacher
    Samuel (14)
    Ralph (12)
    Anthony (11)
    Nancy (9)
    Hamilton Hudspith (7) [Note the name Hudspith for 7 year old Hamilton]
    Henry (3)
    Joseph Arnott (36) (born Caldbeck) living in household

The other family is
    Sarah Arnott (47) (born Wigton) Head of household, Ellen Villa, Plumbland
    William (17) (born Torpenhow) son
    Sebbra (14) (born Torpenhow) daughter
    David (12) (born Aspatria) son

There is only one other Arnott listed
    Ann Arnott (19) servant living Golden Sq Green Dragon. She is listed as born Torpenhow and so may be Sarah's daughter also. John's children were born in Plumbland.

I won't go into the same detail for the 1871 census and following. Sarah
    (58) is listed but Abraham/Jane and John/Isabella are not.

In the 1891 census Isabella is listed (now 77) as widow living with her sons David Thomas (36), John (33) (both born Plumbland), Mary Doman (sister) and John Henry (3) grandson.

There are obviously many tangents to follow here. My interest is George and in any information about David and Ann Arnot of the 1841 census, their Haltwhistle marriage and background. All help and info appreciated!

All the best, Craig

arwencarys

Technology disasters reared their ugly head so I lost all my research, hotmail account details and bookmarks for genealogy .... for the second time!!! - then life took over. Decided recently to pick up the reins again and stumbled across this place and I am so glad I did!

Hello Lynne!! And hello Angel & Craig, yes, we are very much related!! All my details were researched by myself and a cousin (we met on Rootsweb) who has done a fantastic job of travelling to cumbria and pouring over parish records etc. We have also compared the tree with several other of our distant cousins. My family were very good at remembering grandparents/great grandparents and so on which meant I'd known a lot of the names all my life through my grandfather, Thomas Henry Arnott (named after his Uncle - Thomas Henry Arnott WWI MM hero, 5th Border Regiment. His diaries survived and were serialised in a local paper in the 70's sadly we don't know where the originals are but I have a transcript if anyone is interested. He was the son of Jeremiah Arnott whose father was Abraham).

As for the info on David and Ann Hudspith - I was sent the info via a member of Rootsweb and I also had seen marriage certificate (1808, Haltwhistle) on Ancestry.com when I had paid membership but this was lost in my computer nightmare and I also had a tree for Ann and the hudspith line. Hudspith is a huge name Haltwhistle way, medieval land owners.

I do have a box of paperwork on the family but its in storage - now is a good time to get it!! I only have a basic paper-copy tree my direct line is as follows:
    Thomas Arnott born 1923 son of
    Senhouse Reay Arnott born 1891 son of
    Jeremiah Arnott born c.1854 son of
    Abraham Arnott born 1829 son of
    David Arnett born 1779

The paper info I have stored goes into a lot of detail listing most of the spouses of David and Anns children and grandchilden. I promise I'll dig it all out!!

Craig! My great grandfather Senhouse has his mothers maiden name (Reay) as his middle name, much like Hamilton Hudspith - it was very traditional in cumbria for one of the sons to have the mothers maiden name as their middle name

Anyway off to hunt down paperwork and I will be in touch soon.

arwencarys

Further to your query about the marriage of David and Ann, take a look at this link on rootsweb

https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestr...spith&id=I3296

arwencarys

Angelcake

I had a message from you asking about the children I had for Abraham Arnott & Jane Wilson. I have 11 children but in the back of my memory somewhere, I believe there were more but they died very young.

1. George born c.1850
    2. David born c.1852
    3. Jeremiah born c.1854
    4. Alexander born c.1856
    5. John born c.1857
    6. Jane born c.1858
    7. Mary Anne born c.1859
    8. Susanna born c.1862
    9. Joseph born c.1863
    10. Abraham born c.1868
    11. Samuel born c. 1870

Hope this helps!

arwencarys

I will give what information I can without my paperwork and I hope some of it helps

Quote Originally Posted by CraigArnott View Post

There are two other Arnotts listed at a different address (Blennerh..? St) but as being born in the county
    David Arnott (20)
    On my tree, David Arnett & Ann Hudspith had a son David Arnott who was born circa 1817 - this could be the David you mention, if you allow for date inaccuracies.

1851 CENSUS (30 March)
    Abraham Arnott (22) Head of household, William St
    Jane (22) Wife
    George (1)
    Abraham Arnott & Jane Wilson are my ggg grandparents, they had at least 11 children that I listed in my above post.

There are two other Arnotts listed separately. The man I believe is my GG Grandfather is:

George Arnott (18) (born Aspatria)
    There is also this entry for an Ann living is Aspatria:
    Ann Arnott (35) (born Aspatria) Head of household

It is interesting that this Ann appears in this census but not in 1841. I believe she may be the daughter of David and the elder Ann. She is listed as "proprietor" and living with lodgers. Her age would mean she was born about 1815 or 1816.
    David & Ann did have a daughter called Ann who was born circa 1815.

Abraham Arnott (32) Joiner & cartwright, Ellenborough (born Aspatria)
    Jane (32) Wife
    David (9)
    Jeremiah (7)
    Alexander (6)
    John (4)
    Jane (3)
    This, again, is my ggg grandparents and Jeremiah is my gg grandfather. He was a blacksmith and the forge he once owned jointly with a brother-in-law (Reay family) is still standing today.

There are two other Arnott families listed headed by a John and Sarah who may also be Abraham's elder siblings or at least cousin

John Arnott (49) (born Aspatria), Joiner & Farmer of 60 acres, Plumbland
    Isabella Arnott (47) Wife
    David Thomas (26) Son, Joiner & farmer of 60 acres
    John (23), Ploughman
    Edward (21) Tailor
    Joseph (15) Pupil teacher
    Samuel (14)
    Ralph (12)
    Anthony (11)
    Nancy (9)
    Hamilton Hudspith (7) [Note the name Hudspith for 7 year old Hamilton]
    Henry (3)
    Joseph Arnott (36) (born Caldbeck) living in household
    This is John Arnott, son of David and Ann, who was born circa. 1812 and his children. Note also his brother Joseph was living with them who was born circa. 1821 - now, I have a mystery here as I have the same birth year for Susanna Arnott of 1821 so were they twins or this a date inaccuracy?

The other family is
    Sarah Arnott (47) (born Wigton) Head of household, Ellen Villa, Plumbland
    William (17) (born Torpenhow) son
    Sebbra (14) (born Torpenhow) daughter
    David (12) (born Aspatria) son
    I have a query here. If Sarah Arnott was 47 in 1861, that would put her birth at around 1814/1815, which is the same as Ann, I don't have a Sarah in my tree for that time frame ... so, a puzzle to be solved!

There are obviously many tangents to follow here. My interest is George and in any information about David and Ann Arnot of the 1841 census, their Haltwhistle marriage and background. All help and info appreciated!
    If you look at that link I posted for rootsweb, it shows details about the marriage, also a transcript of his gravestone. They are buried in St Kentigerns, Aspatria along with a load of other Arnotts, including my direct line. Infact, my aunt still lives nearby so I might ask her to go take some photos for us (I now live in the USA since 2004). I will also dig out what I have on George

angelcake

Hi all

How are we doing with all the missing links - I had a look at the previous notes and would like to know how we are allprogressing. I have had a major problem with my pc so I am just getting back into things.

Regards

Angelcake

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello all

I'm not an Arnott - but reading the above (but rather quickly) and looking at the Family search pilot - George's baptism only gives a mother Ann Arnet and no father.
    Is it possible that George is the illegitimate son of David and Ann's daughter Ann (b1815 and later married to John Mossop)?

angelcake

Dear Grisel

You have come accross the same info and the same presumption - I have checked the 1852 Census and she was head of her house and unmarried. In later Census she has married Mr Mossop - she had George in 1833. She had another child Mary Ann Arnott in 1838. Mary Anne went on to marry Jacob Hohn who was born in Prussia. Ann is buried in St Kentigerns -I located this bit of info below -

"Fom a tombstone in St. Kertigerns churchyard in Aspatria:"In memory of David Arnott of Aspatria who died Feby 5th 1846 aged 67 years.Also of Nancy his wife, who died April 10 1848 aged 61 years.Also Sebra their daughter who died Nov 24th 1837 aged 5 years. Also Joseph their son who died April 1st 1843 aged 24 years.Also Mary their daughter who died July 1st 1845 aged 32 years.Also of David their son who died April 10th 1852 aged 35 years.Also Ann their daughter and wife of John Mossop who died Oct 12th 1887 aged 71years---- John Mossop the above who died Dec 7th 1887 aged 83 years------ of John Arnott, who died Maryport Nov 8th 1906 aged 70 years---------- his wife who died at ------- 1896 (1890?) aged ? years" [Source: Family of Jim Downes and Joanna Hills/ https://awt.ancestry.co.uk]

So you see the tree just gets bigger and bigger

Angelcake

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by angelcake View Post

"Fom a tombstone in St. Kertigerns churchyard in Aspatria:"In memory of David Arnott of Aspatria who died Feby 5th 1846 aged 67 years.Also of Nancy his wife, who died April 10 1848 aged 61 years.Also Sebra their daughter who died Nov 24th 1837 aged 5 years. Also Joseph their son who died April 1st 1843 aged 24 years.Also Mary their daughter who died July 1st 1845 aged 32 years.Also of David their son who died April 10th 1852 aged 35 years.Also Ann their daughter and wife of John Mossop who died Oct 12th 1887 aged 71years---- John Mossop the above who died Dec 7th 1887 aged 83 years------ of John Arnott, who died Maryport Nov 8th 1906 aged 70 years---------- his wife who died at ------- 1896 (1890?) aged ? years" [Source: Family of Jim Downes and Joanna Hills/ https://awt.ancestry.co.uk]
    Angelcake
    That is interesting. I can see Nancy's death in 1848 on freebmd but can't see her on the 1841 census. Are David/Ann and David/Nancy two separate couples? Or are Ann and Nancy the same person?

I can see a birth of Ann 1815 to David/Ann. Is there another Ann, daughter of David/Nancy?
    Last edited by grisel; 23-10-2010 at 1:42 PM. Reason: Made a mess of the 'reply with quote'!

angelcake

Dear Grisel

Ann/Nancy is the same person - she interchanged it. This is still in practice today within our own family - people start out with one name and are known as something different. My grandad was born a John but was known as Jack . Great Grandma was born Rebecca Carruthers but adopted the middle name Martin (her grandma's maiden name). A current family member was christened one name but is known by something else. Very common in this area of Cumbria. Ann/Nancy and David had a daughter Ann who married John Mossop.

Regards

Angelcake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12