Knowledgeable and helpful

Default 1916 Marriage Certificate

I have just received a photocopy of a Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth for a birth dated 1st May 1916. Under the main certificate heading it says: "Supplied at the Special Fee of 6d Applicable in Certain Statutory Cases" and under that it says the certificate is issued for the purposes of "Unemployment Insurance Act". Those words are handwritten in a gap to be filled in by hand. The certificate was issued on 29th September 1938.

Anyone know what this means and what other "Purposes" might have required this special certificate?

AudreyF

LittleSpark

I'm no expert but perhaps if the original birth certificate was only a 'short' one, the person may have needed a 'full' certificate.
    I'm sure the copy I have for my grandfather was issued when he was applying for a job.

Maybe some other members can also help.

Sheila

Reputation beyond repute

Certain bits of legislation, particularly regarding social security and education, require a birth certificate to be produced. In these sort of circumstances, certificates could be obtained at a reduced fee. These cheap certificates were always endorsed with a note of their specific statutory purpose.

I think you can still get cheap rate certificates in certain specified circumstances.