Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Thank you. You nudged me into having another look at the will and there as bright as day "Thomas Shewell late a Brewer in Shoe Lane London". Shoe Lane was where "My" Thomas carried out his brewing business with Henry Masterman.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice

Oh yes, I didn't spot that when I first scanned through it, but I see now that he is named as a beneficiary.

Off on a slightly different tack. Samuel Whitbread born 1720, Cardington Beds, was the son of Henry Whitbread and his second wife Elizabeth. Elizabeth's Will mentions a document of agreement, of sorts, dated 17 December 1717. Henry's first wife Sarah died 1710. But, I'm blowed if I can a marriage for Henry and Elizabeth between 1710 and 1720. Elizabeth's name at the time of her marriage, may have been Winch, but I'm not sure whether she was a spinster.
    PS It may be a misquote for Albert, but I'm getting the point where I can appreciate that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.".
    Peter Nicholl

I can't find the marriage either, but according to this she was Elizabeth Read, daughter of Phillip Read of New Sarum in Wilts, M. D. (Ive split the link as they don't seem to like 'live' links on here)

https://
    bedsarchives.bedford.gov.uk/CommunityArchives/Cardington/TheWhitbreadFamilyAndCardington.aspx

Penny's just dropped - this is Thomas Shewell, of Hadley Middlesex, subject of a separate, recent post?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Have a look at the Liverpool Echo, 16 July 1984 "250 years of brewing"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks, I have a copy of "An Uncommon Brewer - The Story of Whitbread 1742 - 1992" by Berry Ritchie. It covers the points in the Echo, but you are a whizz at finding these newspaper articles. It's the pre-1742 stuff that I'm digging into.
    My Great4 GrandDad, The Rev Samuel Nicholl,was the Vicar of Sutton Courtenay, Berkshire 1785-1799. In 1776, while a Curate at Bix, Oxfordshire, he married Lydia Shewell. Lydia's parents were Thomas Shewell and Lydia, nee Eyres. Thomas was a Brewer. For a long time I wondered whether he was the Thomas who had gone into partnership with Samuel Whitbread. It turned out that he didn't. He went into partnership with Henry Masterman and they went bankrupt. But, he did get a mention in the other Thomas's Will. The Thomases were of a similar age and so took a bit of time sorting who was whom, but in doing so I got hooked on the "other" Shewells and the Whitbreads. For completeness, I now have moved on to Samuel Whitbread's father, Henry and Henry's second wife, Elizabeth, but I just can't find their marriage. Jomot 1 has come up with her baptism (Many Thanks) and I believe that her first marriage was to Benedictus Winch in London in August 1707. Benedictus seems to have been a farmer in Bedfordshire.
    Elizabeth's Will has references to some really old fashioned legal terms "intermarriage" ( not the current definition), release and indentures. So, still a lot to do.
    Peter Nicholl

Just a bit more. Elizabeth's father, Phillip, died in Bristol in 1698. He left Elizabeth quite well off, according to his Will. And in Bonds and Allegations for Elizabeth's marriage, Elizabeth is shown as "having Guardians consent".
    Peter Nicholl

I have found a reference to Henry Whitbread's marriage to Elizabeth on 22nd December 1717 at St John's Bedford. Elizabeth appears to have shown herself as Elizabeth Reed, her maiden name. The records for St John's are not easily visible. Can anyone confirm the details? Which leaves the death of Benedictus Winch, was he buried at St John's?
    Peter Nicholl

The only online records I can find for St John's are BTs rather than PRs and only viewable at a Familysearch/LDS Centre:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/c...tory%20Library

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast