Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    EWS Douglas, 61, private means, born India Scottish British
    Florence E Douglas, 48, private means, born at sea[/indent]

They had been married 30 years (giving an approx. marriage date of 1881)
    I had assumed they'd married in India, but one should never assume anything in genealogy! FreeBMD shows a marriage of an Edward Spencer Douglas in the third quarter of 1880 in the Hampstead district. There's a Florence Emily Tulloch with matching vol/page numbers.

Tulloch rang a vague bell . . . and looking back in this thread I see that it was the surname of Edward William Spencer Douglas's first wife, the short-lived Ellen Eaton.

If you look on FamilySearch you should be able to find baptisms of sisters called Ellen Eaton Tulloch and Florence Emily Tulloch. From the 1871 census index on FamilySearch it looks as if they were both in England, in Gravesend then: I can't see who they're with.

Coromandel

The following are all from Google Books.

'The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Miscellany', Vol. 10
    under the heading 'Military appointments, promotions, removals, &c.'
    26 Feb [probably 1820]: 'Mr. John Douglas appointed an assist.surg. in G.O. [General Orders?] of the 22nd inst. to do duty under the orders of the superintending surg. at Meerut. He is directed to afford medical aid to the detachment of his Majesty's troops proceeding to the field stations under Cornet Wymer.'

Marriage announcement from the 'Quarterly Oriental Magazine'
    'At Cawnpore, on the 12th April [1824], by the Rev. Mr. Williams, John Douglas, Esq., Moradabad, to Miss Catharine Carter.'

'Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register', Vol. 20 (1825)
    [April 1825?] 'Officiat. Assist. Surg. J. Douglas to do duty with 14th N.I., at Dacca.'
    [this would fit nicely with John being with the 14th N.I. at the time of Edward Ronald Douglas's birth in 1825]

'Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register', Vol. 21 (1826):
    Calcutta birth announcements include
    'Aug. 3. The lady of Assist. surg. John Douglas, of a son.'

ditto, vol. 24 (1827)
    birth annoucement:
    'Feb.1. On the river, near Baglepore, the lady of John Douglas, Esq., offic. assist. surg., of a son.'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345