Jan1954

Default Earlswood, Surrey

A little bit of help, please.

I have discovered that my Gran (Louisa Maud GOLDSMITH) in the 1911 census was a servant to a Charles NICHOLAS and residing at Oakcroft, Brambletye Park, Earlswood, Surrey, aged 17. (RG14 PN3226 SN107 refers)

I have had a bit of a google to see if I could find Brambletye Park, but although I have found loads of references to Brambletye Park Road, the park itself does not seem to exist any more.

If anyone could give me a clue or three as to where it once was, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

malcolm99

Just a quick reply for the moment. I'm not sure the park has much to do with the Oakcroft house address. In the ‘List’ section of the ‘Enumerators book images’ for your 1911 Census Image, Oakcroft appears to be in Hooley Road near to Hooley Lane, Redstone Road & Emlyn Road.

Unfortunately Hooley Road seems to have had its name changed & so it's a hunt to see which current road used to be called Hooley Road.

Anyway, that's my current theory (!) - I'll get searching.

malcolm99

OK - so on old-maps.co.uk/maps.htmls enter Earlswood & choose the Surrey one and then choose the 1913 map from the list on the right. That shows that Hooley Road used to be what is now Brambletye Park Road.

I wonder if there is a picture of the house?

Jan1954

Thank you Malcolm, it is much appreciated and I shall explore tomorrow.

malcolm99

You'll be able to have that long lie-in tomorrow as I've already been up and down the road on Street View and I haven't been able to identify 'your' house. I have a suspicion that it may have been demolished and a new house has been built on the site but that's just a hunch....

Now back to my Greenwich rellies - if I have a headache tomorrow it'll be from them and not from this rather nice glass of Port in front of me.....

Jan1954

Thank you again, Malcolm. Unfortunately, a lie-in is something with which I am no longer familiar as Cloth-Brain will need walking at 7:30!

Happy new year to you and thank you for "traipsing" up and down the road for me!