Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Plaister

Starting to feel at home

Smile James Plaister

I am trying to find the baptisim record for James Plaister.

He was married to Martha Tanner on 21st July 1817 St Mary Magdalen, Oxford, they had many children. Martha was buried 18th June 1834, at St Mary Magdalen Church, Oxford.

James appears in 1841 census with children Sarah, George, Charles and Edmund. In 1851 census he is with children Sarah A, William F, and Charles. He was a cordwainer by occupation and was born in George Street, Oxfordshire.
    Any help in finding out who his parents were would be most helpful, apart from parish records and another visit to Oxford I am not sure where to turn to.

Happy Christmas

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

His year of birth is c1789, and George Street is close to St.Mary Magdalen church. So I would assume he born/baptised there, and he seems to be living there also.

In the OxFHS Marriage index, there are a few Plaister marriages that maybe possible parents.

Thomas PLAISTER to Catherine HEDGES. @ St.Mary Mag. 9 Mar 1766.
    William PLAISTER(of Ox St.Mary Mag.), to Elizabeth Teazler. @ Ox.St. Michael. 19 Jan 1768.

Steve.

Pennie

Hi Diamond ...

Just come across your posting and hope that I may be able to help.

As well as the two PLAISTER marriages mentioned by Steve, there's also one in Islip in 1781 recorded on the OMI. This would seem better date-wise and Islip is not too far from Oxford.

It may be worth requesting the OFHS to do a look up of their Oxfordshire Baptisms Index (1538-1851) - full details can be found here:

https://
    searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/#oxonbapts

Pennie

janbooth

Have you noticed that there is also a William PLAISTER in the 1841/51 census records of St Ebbe, Oxford born c1795 in Oxford who is a Coach Builder - could he perhaps be a relative of your James. In the 1851 census he has an Aunt Maria BAYLIS aged 43 born Oxford staying with him. The Oxfordshire FHS parish register transcripts of St Ebbe show a William & Mary PLAISTER having a son John baptised in 1802. Perhaps the William & Mary marriage that Pennie found at Islip??

Janet

birdlip

Hi there,

The Poll of the Freemen of the city of Oxford, printed in 1802, lists the following PLAISTER's, all in St Mary Magdalen;

Edward, Cordwainer
    James, Carpenter
    Thomas, Cordwainer
    William, Victualler

birdlip

The Oxford History Centre website has a searchable Archive Catalogue.There are several hits for PLAISTER, including this little gem:

10. B15/2/11D/11 Mortgage 13 Dec 1826
    PARTIES: 1. James PLAISTER of Oxford, Cordwainer (heir of Thomas PLAISTER who died intestate)

Reputation beyond repute

He was married to Martha Tanner on 21st July 1817 St Mary Magdalen, Oxford
    BUT...

What is shown as their home parishes?

Was the marriage by banns or licence?

Who were the witnesses?

Pennie

Birdlip's post would seem to eliminate the Islip marriage - that was for a William PLAISTER. It would now seem that the PLAISTER/HEDGES marriage in 1766 would seem the most likely, and can probably be confirmed by that look up of the OBI.

Pennie

janbooth

Well spotted Birdlip - what a great find!

Janet

Starting to feel at home

William Plaister born 1795 married Mary Ann Millin on 5th December 1831, he is my 3x great grandfather. They had 3 children before they married, but lived as husband and wife, they had a total of 12 children. I am trying to establish a link between my Plaister branch and the other Plaister's of Oxford. As it is a trade name, there maybe no link.
    William Plaister was a coachbuilder, his son William was baptised as William Millin 27 Dec 1827, but once his parents married was always known as William Plaister, he married Mary Jennings Biggs in Hammersmith in London in 1847 and was a butler.
    I wanted to know if William Plaister 1795 - 1858, was the brother of James Plaister who married Martha, and I thought that finding James's baptisim record would help. I made a visit to Oxford records office and made some discoveries that I have not been able to "fit into" the family tree.

Who was Edward Plaister buried at St Aldgate, Oxford 8th April 1796?
    Who was Thomas Plaister who married Mary Ann Butwell on 21 Feb 1810, St Ebbe, Oxford. lodgers in this parish, married by Banns, witnesses, John Dodson and Ralph Bennett?
    Who was Mary Plaister who married Thomas Hicks on 11 May 1818, St Ebbe, Oxford .......both of this parish?

It is all very well having a nice day out at a records office and gathering lots of information on the surname you are studying but it can be very confusing when you get back home and try to fit all the bits of the jigsaw together!
    Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast