Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Dom- The following newspaper article clearly places A Jonas both in Birmingham and Notts suggesting that the Jonas in both these regions are very likely related. The Morning Post Sat July 27 1861- Marriage on 24 inst at Great Synagogue St James- Isaac Jonas eldest son of A Jonas Esq of Birmingham, late of Nottingham to Hanna eldest daughter of B Boam of 47 Gower St Bedford Square.
    The Morning Post Mon Nov 3 1884-Marriage on 29inst at Willis's Rooms King St St James- Solomon Flatau 8 Randolph Crescent Maida Vale to Katie eldest daughter of Isaac Jonas Fairlight Edgbaston Birmingham.

I note that Alexander Jonas of 8 Hollywell St Strand;54 William St;10 York St Nottingham licensed hawker and traveller got 6 months in 1831 at Nottingham Court House- was this for debt?
    Phillip

Dom
    Suspect that Isaac Jonas 31 Mansell Street with wife Rachel maybe one of your early relatives. He appears in 3 wills ( see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts)- Moses Aaron died 1822 NA 872 dealer in old clothes and the two Gompertz sisters wills 1814 and 1821.
    Worth a look.
    Phillip

Dom1

Great work re: Kate Jonas, I did not have that marriage, possibly because she is named Katie and I have her as Kate, and on my tree she is the eldest of 5 daughters.

Re: Alexander, probably debt I don't know.

I saw that Isaac Jonas of 31 Mansell Street while searching for Jonas members; it's quite possible he is one but I never like to add members to my tree without proof they belong.

The Isaac Jonas with Aarons is the boot-manufacturer, again a maybe

Thank you Phillip

Dom
    Re #31 more data on Solomon Flatau- Liverpool Mercury Sat Jan 21 1882- Partnerships dissolved- William, Jacob, Solomon,John N Flatau trading as A and W Flatau and Co- wholesale boot and shoe manufacturers at 26 Ropemaker St London;480 Kingsland Rd London and Victoria Rd Northampton on the retirement of W Flatau

The Standard Fri July 1 1887- Probate- Abraham Flatau formerly of Ropemakers St and 8 Randolph Crescent Maida Vale. Proved by Jacob Flatau 10 Hanover Square Regents Park Middx;Solomon Flatau 31 Kensington Gardens Square executors

Rebecca Flatau relict of Abraham Flatau 10 Hanover Square

Looks as if Abraham and Rebecca are the parents of Solomon

Phillip

Dom1

Thanks Phillip, the marriage produced 2 children but no grand-children.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234