Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Annamarie

Default Broad Street Meeting- Independent

Trying to find a marriage record for William Rogers circa 1770 in Broad Street Meeting Independent, Reading Berkshire.

I have found the christening records for his children Benton, Hannah and Ann in Broad Street Meeting Independent between 1773 and 1777. Their mother's name does not appear in the records. I'm assuming their parents would have married in the same church.

Any help much appreciated.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    I'm assuming their parents would have married in the same church.
    They wouldn't have been allowed to. Between 1754 and 1837 most non-conformists had to marry in Anglican churches. You may have more luck looking for a marriage in one of the Reading parish churches.

Reputation beyond repute

Trying to find a marriage record for William Rogers circa 1770 in Broad Street Meeting Independent, Reading Berkshire.
    I'm afraid you won't. The law at the time required all marriages to take place in a parish church (ie Church of England). Jews and Quakers were exempt but not Independents.

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I'm afraid you won't. The law at the time required all marriages to take place in a parish church (ie Church of England). Jews and Quakers were exempt but not Independents.
    Of course! I hadn't considered that. I'm surprised their mother's name wasn't included. I haven't been able to establish details about the original church nor who holds the records for the christening to see if there is anything that will help identify William.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    I haven't been able to establish details about the original church nor who holds the records for the christening to see if there is anything that will help identify William.
    Some records are held at the National Archives (formerly known as the Public Record Office, PRO) and some at Berkshire Record Office:

https://www.
    berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/family-history/non-parochial/?letter=r#results

You can use the pay-site BMD Registers to see scans of non-conformist registers at the National Archives:

bmdregisters.co.uk/

Broad Street is the main shopping street in Reading town centre. The Independent Chapel building is still there, now converted into a bookshop. From what I understand the original building was set back from the street and in 1892 a new front was added, making the frontage level with the neighbouring buildings:

flickr.com/photos/stephenpoole/8247136751/

Annamarie

Thanks Coromandel, since posting I have searched for burial and marriage records for William, Ann and Hannah in Berkshire. Unfortunately, it's like searching the proverbial haystack. There are so many possibilities. William could have travelled to have his children christened in Broad Street. His son, Benton Rogers, married in Bedford Bedfordshire. Perhaps the whole family moved there?

I also searched for families with surname Benton in Berkshire, hoping it would lead to a connection,since Benton is an unusual Christian name. I found a number of families living in Reading Berkshire with that name, but no marriage records to a William Rogers. I love a challenge, I'll start with the above but I'm beginning to feel a little overwhelmed,
    Thanks
    Anna

Reputation beyond repute

I haven't been able to establish...who holds the records for the christening
    I don't understand. You said in the first message that you had found the christening records.

The non-conformist registers that made their way to the National Archives...

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...36&image1.y=13

...are available online at https://www.
    bmdregisters.co.uk/

Annamarie

Hi Peter, I found the details on familysearch. What I meant is I'd like to see copies of the original records. I read in a thread here that there is sometimes added information in the original entries. Thank you for the links. I shall have a look.

pippycat

I've looked at the BMD registers and baps for Hannah, Ann and Benton are listed:

written at the top of the page is: Children baptised by Thos Noon (or Moon) pastor of the Church at Reading.

Hannah daugh of Mr Wm Rogers at Bramshill Heath, baptised 19 Jan 1773

Ann daug of Mr Wm Rogers at Hartley, baptised 2 June 1775

Benton, son of Mr Wm Rogers of Hartley, baptised 19 March 1777

Im assuming the 'Hartley' is Hartley Wintney, Hampshire - thats 4 miles from Bramshill, Hampshire and about 10 miles to Reading, Berkshire.

The only Berkshire marriage for a Wiiliam on the same site is:
    William Rogers to Mary French, by licence, 10 Jan 1780 Wantage, Berkshire.

Nothing for Hampshire.

This one for London:
    William Rogers to Anna Smith on 6 July 1771 at St Botolph, Aldgate.

I also came across the following on Archive.org

Marriages at Basingstoke, Hampshire

William Rogers of Hartley Wintney, minor, with consent of his mother and Mary Tubbs, minor, with consent of her father, John Tubbs. married by licence 4 August 1798
    ...can't be that many William Rogers in Hartley Wintney, so maybe he's related.
    What about a nephew or even another son for William?

Basingstoke, Hants about 10 miles to Hartney Wintney.

Rebecca

pippycat

Just found a reasonable marriage for William:

William Rogers and Anne Thorp, by licence, Stratfieldsaye, Hampshire 12 May 1766

Stratfield Saye 7.5 miles to Hartley Wintney on google maps.

Rebecca
    Last edited by pippycat; 23-12-2012 at 4:11 PM. Reason: can't spell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast