Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    I've looked at the BMD registers and baps
    Wow Rebecca, that's amazing. Merry Christmas and thank you! Shall review and ponder all

Annamarie

Just found a reference to Hartley located in the Parish of Shinfield
    Located approx 3 miles south of Reading.

Annamarie

I wonder if anyone can find a burial record for Benton Rogers. He married Hannah Bright in Bedford in 1811 and possibly died before the 1841 census. I have the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census records for Hannah in St Paul, Bedfordshire.

Coromandel

It is interesting that your William Rogers is called Mr William Rogers in the chapel records. This may suggest he was of relatively high status, which can be helpful as it means he may have been more likely to own property, leave a will, etc.

The following may well be a red herring as the name Rogers is pretty common. But I thought I'd mention it anyway . . .

Access to Archives (A2A) has a reference to a document at Berkshire Record Office, dated 1805, described thus:

Lease for five years between (1) William Rogers of Hartley Wespall, Hants., mealman (eldest son of the late William Rogers of Swallowfield) and Thomas Simmonds of Swallowfield, yeoman, executors of the late William Rogers, and (2) Charles Hoar of Cliddesbury, Hants., yeoman, of a watermill known as Standford End Mill, Swallowfield, with buildings attached and 35 acres of arable and meadow. Timber reserved to the freeholder.
    (ref. D/EZ 62/3)

The late William Rogers referred to in this lease could be the William Rogers, yeoman of Swallowfield, whose will was proved at the PCC on 22 May 1795. You can download a copy from the National Archives' website for a small fee.

P.S. there are other documents relating to William Rogers of Swallowfield (and some of his relations) at the Museum of English Rural Life in Reading. They're part of the archive of the Duke of Wellington's estate and are catalogued on A2A.

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    It is interesting that your William Rogers is called Mr William Rogers in the chapel records. This may suggest he was of relatively high status, which can be helpful.
    Thank you I had completely missed "Mr" as a possible clue. I have only just started to explore pre 1838 records, thank you for the pointers I shall follow them all.

pippycat

The Will for William Rogers mentioned by Coromandel is 6 pages long and awful to read!

All I managed to do was pick out a few names - you need to try read it yourself to gain more info.

* William Rogers, Yeoman of Swallowfield.
    * Thomas Simmonds of Swallowfield
    * his estate lying in the town of Basingstoke
    * his beloved wife Mary gets £20 per annum for life
    * sons William and James + daughter Catherine?
    * Elouisa Simmons
    * mention of William being Executor when he reaches age of 21 years

Looks like it also matches up with the Lease info suggested by Coromandel.

Ive also found other bits of info for William Rogers in newspaper articles - shame there is no mention of a son Benson.....could still be useful in the 'ruling out' process.

All these items are from the Reading Mercury...only the essential info related here.

16 Jan 1864
    Article requesting people to pay their accounts to deceased William Rogers estate.
    Executors mentioned are Emma Rogers, Robert Rogers and William Rogers.
    Another similar article mentions William died 6 March 1863 and his widow is Emma.

19 June 1858
    A public footpath from Beech Hills to Basingstoke at the corner of a field called Great Langthorns, through a field called Bull Lane Close in the occupation of William Rogers.
    Mention of John and David Rogers at Keeps Corner, Fair Oak Green, Stratfieldsaye - which passes through Langthorns and fields called Tiggerson, Deep Furrow and Five Acres.

1 Aug 1840
    Ploughing match near Jolly Farmer, Sherfield Green - 30 competitors from adjacent parishes with 2nd prize going to David Rogers, Carter to William Rogers of Kings Farm, Stratfieldsaye.

18 Nov 1865
    Marriage 16 Nov at Mortimer Church by Vicar, Rev JR Gould,
    William, 2nd son of late William Rogers of Kings Farm, Stratfieldsaye to Jane Gould, 3rd daugther of late Samuel Gould of Hill Farm, Mortimer, Berkshire.

23 Nov 1872
    Rogers: If the widow of David Rogers, labourer, formerley of Swallowfield, Berks who has since intermarried with Fairman (holding some situation at North West Railway at Rugby) will apply to the Solicitor, she will hear something to her advantage.
    The said David Rogers left a son also named David.
    dated: Wokingham 12 Dec 1872

This last one is interesting considering William's son Benson moved to Bedford.

1 Nov 1830
    On Wednesday night the funds of Wallingford Provident Society were duly dispersed among the members - who voluntarily subscribed a handsome sum in small contributions for the purchase of a piece of plate to be presented to Mr William Rogers on his leaving the town to commence business at Bedford...thats it no more info, except they went on to dine at the Town Hall, complete with the Mayor and Brass Band in attendance!

Rebecca

Annamarie

Thank you Rebecca. Certainly very interesting reading. I've found another connection to Thomas Simmonds in Swallowfield, following a lead from Coromandel, so I'm wondering if he was related in some way.
    I've been trying to find marriages for Ann and Hannah. I've been looking at possible records in Hampshire and Berkshire. There are several possibilities in Hampshire.
    The Bedford connection is certainly interesting considering Benton married Hannah Bright in 1811 in Bedford. His daughter Hannah Rogers b 1816 in Bedford is my connection to the Rogers family.
    Thank you so much for your assistance,
    Annamarie

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    Thank you Rebecca. Certainly very interesting reading. I've found another connection to Thomas Simmonds in Swallowfield, following a lead from Coromandel, so I'm wondering if he was related in some way.
    I've been trying to find marriages for Ann and Hannah. I've been looking at possible records in Hampshire and Berkshire. There are several possibilities in Hampshire.
    The Bedford connection is certainly interesting considering Benton married Hannah Bright in 1811 in Bedford. His daughter Hannah Rogers b 1816 in Bedford is my connection to the Rogers family.
    Thank you so much for your assistance,
    Annamarie
    I must have imbibed a little too much! Benton's son William Bright Rogers is my connection to the Rogers family. He was christened in St Paul's Bedford on 6th April 1817.

pippycat

Anna,

I've a vague feeling that Will just might state Thomas Simmonds is a "good friend" but that doesn't mean he's not related....some people do get on well with their relatives

Re: Newspaper article 16 Jan 1864 (thread 16)

1851 census: 1681 f376 p5
    Kings farm, Stratfieldsaye, Hants.

William Rogers 1805 Stratfieldsaye, Hants. Farmer 199 acres
    wife: Emma 1805 Swallowfield, Berks.
    son: Robert 1832 Swallowfield. Farm work.
    son: William 1834 Stratfieldsaye. Farm work.
    son: James 1837 Stratfieldsaye. No occupation.
    + 3 servants

Living next door:
    John Rogers 1815 Stratfieldsaye, Hants. Farmer 220 acres.
    wife: Mary 1817 Swallowfield, Wiltshire
    brother: David 1823 Stratfieldsaye. Farm work
    visitor: John Harman 1829 Basingstoke, Hants.
    + 4 servants

Looking at the dates, maybe John Rogers is William senior's brother.

Still no sign of a death for Benton.

Rebecca

Annamarie

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Anna,

I've a vague feeling that Will just might state Thomas Simmonds is a "good friend" but that doesn't mean he's not related....some people do get on well with their relatives
    Especially the departed when you get to know them!

I agree John is possibly William's older brother. Still searching for the definitive link to this family. Unfortunately, Benton is proving very difficult. He named his sons William ( died in infancy) and William Bright Rogers. At least the Bright made him traceable! Hannah Bright, his mother, ended up living in an almshouse, and William became a shoemaker. If there was a family inheritance it was dissipated after Benton died. Can't wait to read a copy of the will. I'm also in the process of tracing the William Rogers who went to Bedford in 1831,

Just an afterthought, Benton Rogers is a very common name in the USA. Perhaps he absconded to America!
    Anna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast