Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default I have received an early Christmas gift!!

As many folks here will know I am profoundly deaf.

Since 2002 and up to 2007 I attempted to use the last technologically advanced hearing aids - but to no avail. So I resigned myself to the fact that this was as it was likely to be for the rst of my life. From 2007 until I retired in 2009 my work-fellows communicated with me via email.

After I retired, I attempted a course of lip-reading. It was fairly basic, but enabled me to understand what my dad, who was 90 in 2009 and living with me and my wife Hillary, needed. After he died in 2011, Hillary became very frustrated with my inability to participate in family discussions and so I went again for an Audiologists assessment. I was then referred to Sunnybrook Hospital and my 1st visit was in 2012.

To cut a long story short, after numerous visits and hours spent undergoing tests and scans, it was determined that there was little to choose between the ability [or inability] to hear betweenmy left and right ear. Funding had became available in early 2012 for double Cochlear Implants for S.S.C's and a monitoring program was to be set up to review the results over a 2 year period.

Subject to a pre- op Physical, Blood Work and a ECG [to determine that I'll likely be around to complete the monitoring process], I am scheduled for surgery on 22 January 2013.

I am one very happy person!!

Colin

Famous for offering help & advice

Fantastic news. Hope all goes well.
    Pam.

Loves to help with queries

That's great news Colin. Having had a Father who was deaf I know how frustrating it can be for both sides.

Maureen

MarkJ

Nice one Colin! Hearing loss is a real problem so hopefully this will get your New Year off to a great start!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Great news Colin, you may welcome the Newyearin with new hearin'.

Via TV we have watched the faces of those whose hearing has been restored or given, & it's a wonderful sight.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Lizzy9

Pleased for you, Colin. It is indeed a wonderful early Christmas present.

Good luck for 22nd Jan 2013.

terrysfamily

Great new Colin, I'm really really pleased for you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Really pleased for you Colin. What a great Christmas present! Good luck for the op.
    Carol

Mutley

Feliz Natal e um próspero Ano Novo.

Let's hope that by Valentines Day, you will be able to hear the words Hillary whispers in your ear.

Colin Rowledge

Thank you all. Your wishes have 'warmed the cockles' of this old boy's heart

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post

Let's hope that by Valentines Day, you will be able to hear the words Hillary whispers in your ear.
    Over the years the only words I've understood were --- "not more bloomin' daff's"

Maybe then the words will ignite a spark and I'll be once again a S.S.C.

Colin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast