Thread: Advice Sought

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Default Advice Sought

My late GGrandfather enlisted in the Royal Navy in 1859, having obtained his service records and understanding most of the format they followed I am left with two items I hope somebody can answer.

1/ He transferred to the coastguard in 1879 serving in Fethard,Ireland.During his period there, which was for just over six years different ships are shown that shows he was attached too, was it customery at that time that when a ship was based in a port the land crews would in theory be attached to that ship for its duration there, and when the ship was replaced with another, there would be a paper transfer of the land crew to the new vessel.

2/ He was put to pension in November 1879,his record states 'Shore pensioned', however in May 1885 he spent four days aboard the Royal Adelaide when his record shows 'Shore no longer required', his rating is P O I C. Was it customery to be pensioned off but brought back for formal discharge at a later date, also could somebody decipher the rating for me.

Trusting I have explained myself.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I think P.O.I.C is a Pilot Officer Inshore Craft. I just had a quick google for it.

Steve.

Good Morning Steve,
    thank you very much for your reply,I think that answers one of my questions.

Regards
    Geoff

A fountain of knowledge

Good morning Geoff,
    this may be of interest to you , my great grandfather George Gibbs Jewell (aged 15 ) was based on THE ROYAL ADELAIDE in Devonport , (1881 census ) from what i can gather it was used as berth for the boys .
    he was a class2 boy .

in 1892 ADELAIDE ending up at Chatham and was converted to a training ship ,
    she was disposed of in 1905 .

Dean

Famous for offering help & advice

Geoff

Having spent some time exploring ancestors in the Navy/RMLI I don't think that the term "pensioned" related to what we think of nowadays as an age-related "pension". More like an "allowance".

Looking at the information on HMS Royal Adelaide (sorry, I can't do links! Too technical!), she never saw active service. From 1859 until 1891 she was anchored off Plymouth, serving as the local receiving ship (accommodation for new recruits)/depot ship/Admiral's flagship.
    So perhaps your GGrandfather was berthed on the Adelaide while he worked as a Pilot Officer in Plymouth harbour and the Tamar?

But I may be wrong! (it has been known to happen!)

Jane

Hello Dean and Jane

Thank you both for the information on HM Adelaide, I am learning something new every day which makes life very interesting.

What I can't at the moment grasp is why after being pensioned to shore he is brought back six years later for four days and then finished again. I am beginning to think he must have been on a first reserves list in case he was needed again.

Once again thank you both for your help
    Geoff

A fountain of knowledge

morning Geoff

long shot , but what was happening in the 'world' circa 1885 , where the reserves called up ? , was there a major public illness and they were short of staff .
    Or was it simply a refresher course .

I found the details originally on a site called Naval database and a picture of her on Francis frith , (i think i can tell you that , its a paying site ) .

best of luck

Dean

Morning Dean

that is a path worth looking at, I am tending to think though as you say was it a refresher course. Will have a look at the Naval database that you mention too.

Thanks for your help and advice

Geoff

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Geoff

The Coastguard records were originally organised as Establishment Books, where each station is listed, with the transfers of men in and out recorded. However, in the 1860's the system changed, and Ships Books were introduced. Each CG District was allocated a warship, generally one of the older vessels then in the navy. These ships acted as the District HQ and had a small permanent crew, but in a time on national crisis the CG men at the land based stations within that CG District were expected to provide the remainder of the crew. Each summer all of the men eligible for sea service went on a training cruise aboard this vessel, with many of the CG ships exercising together as an inshore squadron. Within the Ships Books there are still individual stations, but to trace a mans record you need to know what ship covered a particular CG District, and in what year. These ships changed quite frequently.

On your second question PO 1C is Petty Officer 1st Class.

Martin
    Coastguards of Yesteryear.

Good Evening Martin

thank you for the information on the coastguards and explaining what PO 1C meant.

Your information is very much appreciated.

Besh wishes
    Geoff