Mutley

Default A silly question?

Can the internet be turned off?

I don't mean your personal internet connection, by whoever your provider is.
    I don't mean a particular site, google, wikipedia, TNA, or BG Forum.

I mean the whole world wide web, does someone have access to a button that will shut it all down?

I was asked this question recently and I replied "no"
    but........................?

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

The answer is yes, but there is more than one button. The telecoms satellites that make up the web, are owned and run by different corporations.

It will never happen though, as there is now too much information and communications that rely on it. Unless someone goes to space, and takes pot shots at all the satellites.

Never say never.

If you want to keep something then don't store it on the internet.
    If you don't want anyone to know something, don't put it on the internet - not even on a "secure" site
    Never treat it as your friend, regard it as a means to an end that will betray you without a second thought and your relationship with the Internet will serve you well.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

bamagirl

I used to work at a telecom internet provider. The system has numerous redundancies to prevent a total outage. There may be pockets that lack service, especially if there is a failure of the power grid.

One of the proposed Doomsday theories is that we are due for a major change in the magnetosphere, perhaps a reversal of the Earth's magnetic poles. If that happens, civilization will have much more to worry about than whether there is an Internet.

I guess I need to print-out all those e-docs so I have paper copies of everything... just in case.

-Barb

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Just to add to the paranoia, there are others that have your 'stuff' sent via the www. So no one is safe from the spies in sky.

Reputation beyond repute

He who controls the domain name system effectively controls the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    One of the proposed Doomsday theories is that we are due for a major change in the magnetosphere, perhaps a reversal of the Earth's magnetic poles.
    My husband will tell you that I have been telling anyone who would listen that this is happening for the last 30 years. Not that it will give me any joy to say "I told you so" but I will! oh yes I surely will.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Can the internet be turned off?

I don't mean your personal internet connection, by whoever your provider is.
    I don't mean a particular site, google, wikipedia, TNA, or BG Forum.

I mean the whole world wide web, does someone have access to a button that will shut it all down?
    .......What are you planning??????

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    My husband will tell you that I have been telling anyone who would listen that this is happening for the last 30 years. Not that it will give me any joy to say "I told you so" but I will! oh yes I surely will.
    I like your style

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    If you're here to do that!