Thread: Coxhead

Gary.

Lightbulb Coxhead

Looking for Thomas Coxhead & Charlotte Bean m. 1817 St. Giles, Camberwell, Surrey. Son Thomas William Coxhead b. 7/3/1818 at Dulwich College. Any help would be fantastic.

Regards,

Gary,
    Australia.

terrysfamily

familysearch has slightly differing dates to the ones you have.

Groom: Thomas Coxhead
    Bride: Charlott Bean
    Marriage: 07 Mar 1818, Saint Giles, Camberwell, Surrey
    indexing project (batch) number: M00626-2, source film number: 254571, 254572, 254574, 254575, 254576

Thomas William Coxhead
    baptism/christening date: 02 Apr 1819, Dulwich College, Dulwich, London
    birth date: 04 Feb 1819
    Father: Thomas Coxhead, Mother: Charlotte
    indexing project (batch) number:P00627-1, source film number:254569

Reputation beyond repute

Thomas Coxhead & Charlotte Bean m. 1817 St. Giles, Camberwell
    7 March 1818. The original register entry (Ancestry's LMA collection) shows the marriage was by licence. I would try and get hold of the paperwork if I were you.

Coromandel

Hello Gary

On Genforum you (at least I think it is you!) say that:

Thomas William Coxhead was transported to Australia under the name Williams.
    and that

Thomas Jnr's Death Cert shows his father's name as Jesse & he was a Cobmill Maker in London.
    Could you fill in a bit of the detail: where was Thomas tried and when was he transported? Did he die as Thomas Coxhead or Thomas Williams? How do you know that he is the same person as Thomas William Coxhead? Why do you think his father is Thomas not Jesse?

Sorry for all the questions!

https://
    genforum.genealogy.com/coxhead/messages/92.html

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

I have this data in my records

1818 Thomas Coxhead married Charlotte Bean, Camberwell St Giles, Surrey 7-3-1818
    1819 Thomas William Coxhead b s/o Thomas Coxhead & Charlotte, Dulwich College, Dulwich, chris 2-4-1819,
    Convict age 16, arrived NSW Australia 15-9-1834 per Roslyn Castle, (3)
    Married as Thomas Williams 10-8-1846 to Mary Field Fraser of Shoalhaven, died 1874.

----------------------------

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post
    I have this data in my records

1818 Thomas Coxhead married Charlotte Bean, Camberwell St Giles, Surrey 7-3-1818
    1819 Thomas William Coxhead b s/o Thomas Coxhead & Charlotte, Dulwich College, Dulwich, chris 2-4-1819,
    Convict age 16, arrived NSW Australia 15-9-1834 per Roslyn Castle, (3)
    Married as Thomas Williams 10-8-1846 to Mary Field Fraser of Shoalhaven, died 1874.
    I see that a Thomas Coxhead aged 15 was tried at the Old Bailey in 1833 and sentenced to seven years' transportation. A Thomas Coxhead is on the Roslyn/Roslin Castle (3).

What I still don't follow is how you know that he is the same person as the Thomas Williams in Shoalhaven. Is there a document somewhere which shows that he changed his name?

Also, how do you know that Thomas Coxhead the convict is the same as the Thomas William Coxhead christened in Dulwich in 1819?

I'm not doubting your word, just trying to understand how the connections were made.

Gary.

Hi everyone.

My sincere apologies for not replying sooner & much thanks to those that replied re Thomas. The Death Cert for Thomas shows that his father was Jessie & mother unknown. It also shows he was a Cobbmill Maker. The BC for the Thomas born at Dulwich College shows Thomas Snr worked on the London Docks. They had 2 Thomas Coxhead who workeds who worked there but one was much later. His DC shows he was born in Surrey. Another shows his father as Thomas & mother Charlotte Bean. These were had written entries & presumably entered on info from his children. He was transported on the Roslin Castle under the name of Thomas Coxhead. It took me ages to trace him & it was only after a phone call to the Illawarra FHS that I found that their records showed that he used the name Thomas Williams. There was no legal change of name. I have info supplied by another descendant of him which cannot be attached. If any one was interested in chasing this further a normal email to Grec AT bigpond DOT com will then allow me to attach the info.

Again thanks & apologies.

Cheers,

Gary.
    Last edited by Procat; 17-04-2013 at 7:45 AM. Reason: Email edited against spammers.