Tinker

Default Help with a house named "Newlyn" in Heacham

An ancestor of mine Alfred James Newton, moved to Norfolk from London in his last years and his will gives his address as 'Newlyn,' Heacham in the early 1920s. I'd be grateful if anyone with local knowledge of Heacham can tell me whether Newlyn was in Hunstanton Road, near Manor House Farm, as the witnesses to Alfred's will were George Barnes Miller Brown and his wife Annie of that address, or elsewhere. A Google search has not turned up anything so far, but it's quite likely that the house name was changed at some point.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If all else fails, you could ask the local Library/council Officers re Electoral rolls of if none due to war time conditions, perhaps change of ownership on house.

Perhaps there are also local Directories for that area & time span.

Then come the local Family History groups who may have maps similar to FRITH or family records of ssaid house.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

kaysii

Unfortunately no full address is given for either Manor House Farm or Newlyn in the trade directoryhttps://www.norfolksources.norfolk.go...27Newlyn%27%29

although both are in Heacham.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Think this is Manor House Farm

https://www.
    britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-221195-manor-farm-house-heacham-norfolk
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-12-2012 at 5:28 AM. Reason: Website asks for donations

Tinker

Thanks for the suggestions, Waitabit. I'll have a look and see if there is a Local History Studies centre in the area that might have the neccessary info. I'm just curious to know whether Alfred actually bought this property in his retirement years, as I get the impression that, for the most part, my Newtons lived in rented houses, even though they were reasonably well-off in the later part of the 19th century.

Kaysii, thank you for that link. Although it doesn't help with placing the exact whereabouts of 'Newlyn,' it reveals that George B.M. Brown's daughter Hilda is, by 1925, a poultry farmer in her own right! Manor House Farm was pretty big and must have been quite profitable, as in 1881, when George's elder brother was in charge, it was all of 800 acres and employed quite a large number of people.

Geneius, I found that page, and several others referring to planning applications to convert it to a posh hotel, which it now is, although it was a working farm until pretty recently. I was quite surprised to be able to track down George Brown and his wife in the censuses so easily as he only wrote his initials on the Will, and it was a bit of a long shot. It would be interesting to find out who took over the farm after George's death.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Relative to George Miller Brown

It is very interesting to find this thread as i am a relative to George Miller Brown!