Titanicfan

Angry Help - any techies that can solve my problem?

Hi

All all day today I have had a windows system error message keep appearing saying:
    There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

I have searched for answers to this problem and it mentions typing
    Run, ipconfig / release or ipconfig /renew to change the IP address conflict but this message keeps appearing every few mins and I can't access web pages.

I am accessing web via wifi from another family member's broadband connection.

Can anyone help me please?

Famous for offering help & advice

One thing I'd want to investigate is the settings on the router. Can you log in to it? (Or you might need the family member to do it from their computer.)

Somewhere there should be a way of viewing the network and which computers are using it. Each device on the network should have its own unique IP address, and I'm wondering if somehow you've got one that's already in use. If it's like my router, there's a way to assign IP addresses manually - but it's a long time since I did this, and I can't remember how, and every router will be a bit different anyway.

That's just a thought off the top of my head, and I might be wrong. However, since it sounds like a router/configuration problem, it might be something the ISP could help with over the phone.

Arthur

MarkJ

As they say on the classic comedy "The IT Crowd" - have you tried turning it off and on again?

I would start by restarting your computer which should solve the problem. If not try turning off your computer, restart the router and then turn on the computer once the router is back up and running. But I expect simply restarting your computer will do the trick.

Titanicfan

I've tried turning it off and on and it makes no difference.
    The owner of the router is not back for a few hrs and I can't use internet (I'm using mobile at the moment)
    Is there anything I can change on my PC in the meantime?

Mutley

You could try un-installing the router and re-installing but you might not want to do that until the owner appears.

It is a few hours now since you have posted but I would have suggested then, try system restore to a time before today.