Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Is Family Tree Maker the way to go?

Hi, all of the info for my family tree is saved using GSP The Ultimate Family Tree. I haven't updated the family tree for a few years now and need to buy a new family tree programme to enable me to do this. Is Family Tree Maker the best way to go? I really am not very computer savvy when it comes to programmes and suchlike and want something relatively easy to keep my tree on and update as and when necessary. I know I have to GEDCOM what I have but don't really understand how to do this so will be back when I have purchased a new programme to ask for more advice! Many thanks in advance....

Brick wall demolition expert!

Everyone has their own particular preference, in terms of what works for them.

I use Family Tree Maker and it works well for me - I have a very large tree and then a number of smaller ones. As with any piece of software occasionally I get frustrated when it does not allow me to do something that I think it should, but it's never really caused any problems.

There are some useful hints in the Genealogy Software Forum of this site which are well worth reviewing.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You might find it helpful to type 'family history computer programs comparison' into google, and then look at the results. (Note the spelling of programs.)
    Wikipedia have a good entry, while other sites show what 'facilities' various program(me)s have.
    You need to check with the program(me) seller's website for the latest version, as I notice that one site is quoting Family Historian v4.1.3 but I know that Family Historian is now on v.5, possibly 5.1.

I know it'll be a pain while you're doing it (easier if the free/trial version lets you import GEDCOMs), but I would advise trying out at least two or three program(me)s to see if you find one easier to use than another. Or you might prefer the layout of one to another. You don't need to enter a whole family - say three or four generations of one line between possibly 1881 and 19-whatever, so you can see census results and how the tree pans out when you have no census details but have photos, war records, etc. (I can actually cover a total of 130 years between the baptism in 1836 of my 2x great grandfather and the death in 1966 of his grandson, my grandfather. So that's pre-civil registration, too.)

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

Is Family Tree Maker the best way to go?
    It's not the best just because Ancestry advertise their own product a lot!

Have a look at Legacy first because the basic program is free (bells and whistles are a little extra).

MythicalMarian

I love Legacy! I was on Family Historian for quite a few years (I've never really liked the look and feel of FTM), but Legacy sold me on its deluxe edition with the source writer, which has been an absolute boon. But as with everything else there are pluses and minuses. Legacy does not automatically calculate relationships, so if you add a newly discovered nxgreat grandpa, for instance, the programme doesn't automatically label him as such without returning to the 'set relationships' tool. Family Historian always did this. I e-mailed Legacy about this only a few days ago and their excuse was that they have updated their software to include non-blood relationships, and thus they cannot automatically calculate blood relationships when new people are entered. This is, of course, bunkum - especially to anyone who understands the programming of databases. However, I'll grit my teeth and put up with it because the source writer is so good. I must add - the source writer is not available with the free version of Legacy, but if you do invest, it's a godsend when your tree starts to expand.

I'll not go into my feelings on 'non-blood' relationships in family trees here.....

Loves to help with queries

Thank you all for your comments and advice. All I ask from a program is that I can put together my family tree and link each branch, maybe add a few photos and certificates etc - no fancy stuff for me! I will definitely look at the comparison site and also Legacy (never heard of that one!). Thanks again

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by joycelyn View Post
    Thank you all for your comments and advice. All I ask from a program is that I can put together my family tree and link each branch, maybe add a few photos and certificates etc - no fancy stuff for me! I will definitely look at the comparison site and also Legacy (never heard of that one!). Thanks again
    In that case, it might be worth you also taking a look at Tribal Pages, definitely not a PROPER family history program but it is quite fun and easy to use. You create a website, add photos and text and scans and can print family trees. It creates relationships and stores your info either free for the basic program or just a few pounds for the bells and whistles. You can give other family members a password so they can look but not edit and it will take your old gedcom in with just a few button clicks.

Might be an 'as well as' a proper program but is an easy way to share your family history.

P.S. I use both, for different reasons.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by joycelyn View Post
    (I) need to buy a new family tree programme to enable me to do this. I really am not very computer savvy when it comes to programmes and suchlike and want something relatively easy to keep my tree on and update as and when necessary. I know I have to GEDCOM what I have but don't really understand how to do this so will be back when I have purchased a new programme to ask for more advice!
    This is a question I've been asking myself for several years, Jocelyn, so I'm glad you've brought it up. Far from being computer-savvy, I'm a total technophobe - and was bawled out by one of the kids for asking for computer help today. I'm even scared of this GEDCOM idea; I've been thinking of pruning my tree - all those extras back in the 1700s who might have died as babies or moved away, but whom I can't find out about, so it almost seems a good idea to rebuild ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You might find it helpful to type 'family history computer programs comparison' into google, and then look at the results. (Note the spelling of programs.)
    Wikipedia have a good entry, while other sites show what 'facilities' various program(me)s have.

Or you might prefer the layout of one to another.
    That's very good advice, Pam, thank you (even if wasn't aimed at me). The layout thing is really important; Ancestry have just changed theirs, - yes, I admit it, I've got a tree on there, but it is private - and I find the new system absolutely horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    I love Legacy! Legacy sold me on its deluxe edition with the source writer, which has been an absolute boon. I'll not go into my feelings on 'non-blood' relationships in family trees here.....
    What is a "source writer", please?

I wonder if your feelings on non-blood relations are part of what makes me want to prune my tree. I was so enthusiastic at the beginning that I put everyone, his wife and their butcher, baker and candlestickmaker on, too

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    In that case, it might be worth you also taking a look at Tribal Pages.
    I remember looking at Tribal Pages once, having had it recommended to me, but I'm afraid I got annoyed with their model and the mistakes in it. When you go for the bells and whistles, can you add Census returns to people or would that make it too "heavy" on the documents?

Does anyone know of a family tree program (hate the spelling!!) which uses biometrics on photographs and tells you that the one of Uncle Joe as a war hero is actually his illegitimate half-brother whose existence you had suspected from another family photo but never really uncovered? I'm pretty sure I read about one once, but have never done anything more; my second name must be Procrastination. Perhaps it'll pop up when I follow Pam's advice.

Mutley

If you scan census returns to your PC you can add them as a photograph (.jpg). The same applies to newspaper articles, certificates, maps or anything else you wish to scan in.
    I don't know about biometrics but you can add a bit of descriptive blurb to each photo.
    You can also print a photo tree of a family.

The deluxe version allows 5000 photos and a limit of 8000 words for individual notes.

MythicalMarian

Pottoka - the 'source writer' module in Legacy is part of the programme's software. What is really useful about it is that it comes with hundreds of different templates that help you record exactly the information you need to record to comply with modern standards of genealogical sourcing. It disciplines us as family historians to maintain good standards of sourcing too. I really like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast