Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Maddern

Colin Rowledge

Default Solomon Maddern

This chap was born in 1888 and [I think] died in 1956. Both events happened in Redruth, Corwall.

In 1911 census, he was unmarried and living with his parents.

In 1912, I believe he joined the Royal Navy and retired in 1937 and received the Long Service Medal.

Today, I went looking [on Ancestry] for a possible probate in the Calendar. The following message was received in response:
    "Your search for Solomon Maddern returned zero good matches.

Why?
    Although there may be many good matches for your ancestor in our content, we can't return good matches without more information.

What you should do?
    Add details about your ancestor- even an educated gruess can increase your chances of getting a high quality match."

O.K. I entered all I knew. Couldn't find a marriage after 1916, couldn't trace Immigration after 1937 and with such a common name in Redruth, couldn't trace who he may have married and so had children.

I do have all census details from 1891-1911 and he was always with his parents

What else may I have added?

Hi Colin
    I just entered his name and England on the old search page and the probate record came up. Not your Samuel because this one died 15 March 1922 and probate granted to Manfred Glencoe Maddern, iron founders clerk.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Colin
    I just entered his name and England on the old search page and the probate record came up. Not your Samuel because this one died 15 March 1922 and probate granted to Manfred Glencoe Maddern, iron founders clerk.
    Thanks.

This maybe a Solomon Maddern [rather than a Samuel] who died in Penzance and refers to probate granted to his youngest son as his older brother Garfield was K.I.A. in 1918.

So I'm still back at square one!!

B-T-W. I wish this was my Solomon Maddern as he and his wife, Eliza Jane, picked the most uncommon names for their sons:
    Howell Garfield
    Manfred Glencoe.

Colin

MandyLou

I think we share the same family here. my great, great, great grandfather was Owen Wilson Maddern from Cornwall. His father was Solomon Maddern (name connectn there?) who was born in the 1820's and went missing, never found since. They go back to other names such as Rouffignac.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MandyLou View Post
    I think we share the same family here. my great, great, great grandfather was Owen Wilson Maddern from Cornwall. His father was Solomon Maddern (name connectn there?) who was born in the 1820's and went missing, never found since. They go back to other names such as Rouffignac.
    Hi and thanks for the comeback.

My research into the Maddern name seems to take me to Pau/Mousehole area of Cornwall.

One possible - but may not be related to my tree - was a Solomon Maddern who was born in 1828 and in 1911 was a widower. He was born in Paul and was a boarder at a farm operated by William Maddern aged 62 - also born in Paul.

Does any of this fit?

MandyLou

Sounds likely. I have connections to Paul, St Just, Madron, Breage. They spread all over by the look of it.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

hi I have lots of different solomons maddern in my tree from paul madron penzance I have over 4000 names in my tree hope I can help anyone researching the maddern surname.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default solomon maddern

h i i think maybe this is the Solomon you might be after,
    soloman maddern 1801-1880 married 1824 to phillis rouffignac 1803-1862
    francis rouffignac maddern 1827-???? married 1853 to Joanna Richards 1826-1884
    owen Wilson maddern 1859-1940 married 1880 to Elizabeth mary olds 1859-1937
    Thomas olds maddern 1885-1943 married 1911 to Cassandra alberta mollard 1886-1967
    my dad Thomas Gordon maddern 1922-1995 married 1937 to Maisie backhouse 1926-1999.
    me Stephen maddern
    the francis rouffignac maddern I cant find a death date for him but he was alive after 1859 which a lot of researchers have him died as I have certifecates from 1880 proving that he was witness at a few more marrages . so if anyone knows any different please get in touch, or can any one find a death date for him before I go to the expence of a researcher. he is the brick wall in my direct.
    many thanks in advance, Stephen.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 23-02-2017 at 1:16 AM. Reason: Personal details deleted

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Stephen,

It's best not to put personal details on an open forum so I've taken the liberty of deleting them.

Sadly, in view of the help you're offering, Colin hasn't been to the forum for four months and Mandy Lou for four years.

Re Francis Rouffignac Maddern I would suggest that you start a new thread in his name (add his birth year).
    Tell us everything you know about him - census references, marriage, etc, as well as the marriage certificates you say he was a witness on. (Names, dates, places.) We do have some extremely good sleuths on this forum.

Have you traced Francis' wife and children on the census for 1861 onwards?
    I notice that in 1851 Francies was a fisherman. Was he a fisherman when he married? On on his chidren's birth certificates/baptism records?
    When his children marry, do the certificates say 'deceased' in father's name box?

Are you sure that the Francis R signing certificates in the 1880's isn't the Francis whose birth was registered March quarter 1858? (Seems to be a Frances in the 1861 census though, listed as daughter of George and Catherine. Listed as Fanny in 1871 1881 and 1891.)

Final thought - do you have Joanna's death certificate? And if so, how is she recorded? Wife of, widow of? And is her husband's occupation given?

Final final addition.
    According to Owen's marriage certificate in 1880, he said his father was Frank Maddern, deceased, labourer. Info from Cornwall Online Parish Clerks. Image available on FamilySearch, Newlyn St Peter, image number 82.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Interesting.

Baptism of Owen Wilson Madron (sic), on 9 October 1859 in Paul, gives only his mother's name Johanna (sic), residence Mousehole. No father's name, and nothing listed in the occupation column.
    Info initially from Cornwall OPC. Baptism register image on FamilySearch, image number 133.

Joanna says she's married in the 1861 census. RG9/1592 folio 34 page 27. Parish of Paul, town of Mousehole.

Can't find anything about Edward Maddern, birth registered June quarter 1857 Penzance registration district, mother's maiden name Richards.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast