Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    slewis1

Default Seeking father of Charles Lewis (c.1844-19??)

I'm hoping someone can give me some inspiration to locate the father of Charles Lewis born probably in York in 1844.

According to his marriage certificate, his father was Levy Lewis.

I found him in London cenuses after his marriage in London in 1875 without difficulty, but cannot find him before his marriage. The 1881, 1891 and 1911 censuses all give his birth place as York. However, the 1901 census gives it as London. I'm sure that these census are all him as his wife and sons are all there and I know they are his sons as their names match the recollections of my father.

Although he always gives his name as Charles in censuses, his marriage certificate and the birth certificate of his oldest son, Lewis both give his name as Isaac. Interestingly, this is consistent with his oldest grandson Charles, born in 1904 who was also called Isaac. I also know that Lewis had a younger brother Joseph who also called his son Charles, and who in turn called his oldest son Joseph. So there's a clear pattern in the family of naming the first son after the grandfather.

This leaves me wondering if Charles could have named his older son Lewis after his own father, in which case, perhaps his father's name was rather Lewis Levy than Levy Lewis.

I don't have his death certificate, but found a couple of candidates: a Charles Lewis who died in 1915 and a Charles I Lewis who died in 1912. I sent off for a copy of the latter certificate, but I'm not optimistic that it will help me to find his father.

If only I could find Charles or Isaac in a census prior to his marriage with his father ... Levy or Lewis. Since it seens common in the family to use a different name than the registered one, I don't even have confidence in the name to search for.

So I seem to have hit a brick wall. I'd be grateful for any suggestions from more experienced researchers as to where next to look next?

Steve

Famous for offering help & advice

Thumbs down

Is this the birth reg you were referring to?

Charles Lewis
    JAS 1844
    York
    Yorkshire East Riding
    vol 23 pg 659

If so maybe purchasing the cert would help.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In the GRO indices between 1840-1850 in Yorkshire there is one record for a Charles Lewis. This is qtr July 1844 York Vol 23 Page 659. There are 2 other Charles Lewis born in Yorkshire in this time frame, both in Malton, one in 1848 and one in 1849.

In the same time period in Yorkshire there is no birth record for Isaac Lewis.

1871 Census - this could be him. He's a lodger in Whitechapel - RG10; Piece: 520; Folio: 98; Page: 3

Ancestry's data set "England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906" has a baptism in York for a Charles Lewis 10 Sept 1844 - which does not fit with your Jewish identification.

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Is this the birth reg you were referring to?

Charles Lewis
    JAS 1844
    York
    Yorkshire East Riding
    vol 23 pg 659

If so maybe purchasing the cert would help.
    This could be him. I found that record too, but what put me off is the existence of the baptism record that Megan Roberts refers to. It seems that these two refer to the same person, and as Megan says, that would not fit with being Jewish (unless, of course, unlike his wife, he was not Jewish.) The baptism record shows Charles' father was John Lewis, which also is not a good fit with his marriage certificate. Maybe I should order a copy anyway in order to be sure.

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    In the GRO indices between 1840-1850 in Yorkshire there is one record for a Charles Lewis. This is qtr July 1844 York Vol 23 Page 659. There are 2 other Charles Lewis born in Yorkshire in this time frame, both in Malton, one in 1848 and one in 1849.

In the same time period in Yorkshire there is no birth record for Isaac Lewis.

1871 Census - this could be him. He's a lodger in Whitechapel - RG10; Piece: 520; Folio: 98; Page: 3

Ancestry's data set "England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906" has a baptism in York for a Charles Lewis 10 Sept 1844 - which does not fit with your Jewish identification.
    The 1871 Census record looks like a very good candidate: the birth date and place of birth are both right. For me the uncertainty is whether there's another Charles Lewis born in York around 1844 (the one to whom the baptism record refers) in which case it could also be him. My problem is that by 1871, Charles is already 27 which makes the chances of finding him living at home rather lower than if I could find him in the 1851 or 1861 censuses.

It seems to me that if there were two Charles Lewis born in York c.1844 then I should be able to find at least one of them with their family in the 1851 and 1861 censuses. Unless these censuses are both missing York data, or they're both going by other names.

Or perhaps he only pretended that he was born in York, and forgot to maintain the pretence for the 1901 census?

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've just tried to find a Charles Lewis with a father called John and/or a mother called Eliza (names in Ancestry baptism record) in the 1851 and 1861 censuses without success. I did not put in age or place of birth. That in itself suggests that the people in the baptism record are, at the very least, not all together.

It seems to be a real mystery. I think that the questions I would now look to answer are:

1. Where did they marry - was it civil or religious? I don't anything about Jewish marriages, and if you don't already know it would be worth asking whether at that time a Jewish religious marriage had to be legalised with a civil cermony.
    2. What was his father's name and occupation?
    3. Is it worth buying the 1844 birth certificate from York to see if the father's occupation is the same or similar to that on his marriage certificate? That is quite a gamble - I have one person in my tree who is variously described as an ag lab, farmer, vet, gentleman, jockey, and who died a pauper!

slewis1

1. Where did they marry - was it civil or religious?
    They married at the Great Synagogue in St. James Duke Street London.

2. What was his father's name and occupation?
    Levy Lewis, Commissioning Agent

3. Is it worth buying the 1844 birth certificate from York to see if the father's occupation is the same or similar to that on his marriage certificate?
    It's a gamble, but it seems the only lead I have to follow right now. I calculate that based on his age on his marriage certificate and his age in the subsequent 1881 census, he was born between 18 Aug 1844 - 3 Apr 1845, which at least is consistent with the 10 Sept 1844 baptism record.

Are you seeking from Synagogue Scribes records GSMa 014/59 the marriage of Levy Lewis 24 August 1842 to Hannah Weil. Hannah appears in the 1841 Census HO 107 716 9 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) age 30 Dress Maker b in County. I can't see them post 1841 but have not looked fully.
    Phillip

What does the marriage certificate of 1875 record- names; address; witnesses etc- let us know. In addition, with regard to Jewish Marriages the Hardwicke Marriage Act 1753 and later the 1823 amendment Marriage Act exempted Jews and Quakers from its provision. Jewish marriages were solemnised in synagogues but also private venues and other establishments ( I hold over 100 marriage certificates on my Jewish lines and the marriages occurred in a variety of venues both formal and informal).
    Compulsory civil registration occurred in July 1837 and many Jewish families recorded the marriages through this process so the marriage certificate reads married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish Religion.
    Phillip

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Are you seeking from Synagogue Scribes records GSMa 014/59 the marriage of Levy Lewis 24 August 1842 to Hannah Weil. Hannah appears in the 1841 Census HO 107 716 9 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) age 30 Dress Maker b in County. I can't see them post 1841 but have not looked fully.
    Phillip
    An 1842 Jewish marriage of a Levy Lewis sits well with Charles' 1844 birth. However, it seems relatively unlikely that a marriage in Whitechapel would produce a son within 2 years in York. Unless he never really was born in York.

By the time he appears in censuses he's old enough to fabricate his own past (and perhaps his name), another reason why I'd really like to find him in the 1841 or 1851 censuses.

Since I assume there's no validation of what people declared in a census, I imagine it would be pretty easy to claim to be Charles Lewis of York. However, I expect the synagogue and registrars would have been more demanding. If his real name is Isaac, then I'm looking for a census record with a father Levy Lewis (or perhaps Lewis Levy) with a son Isaac.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast