Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slewis1 View Post

However, the birth certificate I obtained for the Charles Lewis born in York in 1844 gives the father as John Lewis and the mother as Eliza Houseman. This is not the confirmation I had hoped for of his father (Levy Lewis on his marriage certificate), so I'm still stumped on locating his parents as I can't think of another source to search now.
    In 1851 there is a Charles Louis aged 7, born York - a visitor with his mother Eliza and younger brother Isaac at Peter Lane, York.
    I can't seem to find them in 1861 but it might be worth considering. What did the birth cert. give as John Lewis' occupation?

Steve
    You had already spotted the 1851 Census HO 107 2353 477 14 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) 22 Peter Lane York which has Eliza Louis visitor M 33 b York and her two sons Charles Louis 7 b York and Isaac 15 mths b Middx London.
    You mention in previous posts reference to Charles being called Isaac and in the 1851 Census you have a brother of a Charles called Isaac. Do you have the right family? At some time recent the family were in London according to the 1851 record for Isaac. You also have a York family with a baptism and Charles being buried in a Jewish Cemetery- the conflicting data doesn't seem to add up clearly. Can't locate a potential Levy Lewis in Trade Directories but you might want to look at the London Trade Directories on the University of Leicester Historical Directories site plus re- check JewishGen London Trade Directories Data base of Jewish Traders. The term broker or commission agent covers a range of trades. Charles who marries into a Jewish family and who was a traveller in pictures may indicate a father who was in a similar trade and given that many Jewish traders had several trades - Dealer, Chapman etc you might want to consider that aspect.
    Phillip

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by KathNZ View Post
    In 1851 there is a Charles Louis aged 7, born York - a visitor with his mother Eliza and younger brother Isaac at Peter Lane, York.
    I can't seem to find them in 1861 but it might be worth considering. What did the birth cert. give as John Lewis' occupation?
    I believe this family is likely to be the same John Lewis. However, the birth certificate gives John Lewis' occupation as Cigar Maker which doesn't match my Charles' father's occupation of Commissioning Agent (given at Charles' marriage). Also it seems rather odd that my Charles would variously call himself Charles/Isaac if he already had a brother Isaac.

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    you might want to look at the London Trade Directories on the University of Leicester Historical Directories site plus re- check JewishGen London Trade Directories Data base of Jewish Traders. The term broker or commission agent covers a range of trades. Charles who marries into a Jewish family and who was a traveller in pictures may indicate a father who was in a similar trade and given that many Jewish traders had several trades - Dealer, Chapman etc you might want to consider that aspect.
    I agree with your assessment that this does not seem to be the right family. Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of those sources.

slewis1

Default Candidate 1

Here's a quick resume of the first of the candidates I found for parents for my Charles Isaac Lewis and the pros and cons ... in case it sparks any ideas (the discipline of writing it down also helps me.)

Candidate 1: John Lewis & Eliza Houseman (Louis in 1851)

Pros:
    • their son Charles was born in York in 1844 which matches my Charles' census returns (other than the one for 1901)
    • their son Charles was born in York in 1844 which matches my Charles' census returns (other than the one for 1901)
    • bucking the family pattern, my Charles named none of his 6 sons John, but did have a grandson named John
    Cons:
    • their son Charles was baptised whilst my Charles was married and buried by the Synagogue
    • John was a Cigar Maker (at the time of Charles' birth), my Charles's father was Levy and a Commissioning Agent (at the time of his marriage)
    • they had another son called Isaac, rather odd therefore that my Charles would both the names Charles and Isaac
    Issues: Requires me to believe that he was a convert to Judaism who later managed to fool the United Synagogue into believing he was a Levite (given that tribe is passed through the paternal line)

slewis1

Default Candidate 2

Candidate 2: Levy Lewis & Hannah Weil

Pros:
    • they were married in London in 1842, 2 years before my Charles was born
    • his name matches the name my Charles gave for his father at his marriage
    • if he inverted his name from Lewis Levy, consistent with the family pattern of naming the oldest son after the paternal grandfather
    • following the family pattern, my Charles named his first son Lewis (which is similar to Levy)
    Cons:
    • I cannot find this family in the 1851 or 1861 census and thereore no idea if they had any children
    Issues: Requires me to believe that Levy and Hannah had a son called Charles Isaac

slewis1

Default Candidate 3

Candidate 3: Abraham Levy & Luisa Judah

Pros:
    • their son Isaac was born in 1844 which matches my Charles' date of birth in census returns
    • his name is consistent with a family rumour that at some point the family name was changed from Levy to Lewis
    Cons:
    • only a candidate if his father changed his name from Levy to Lewis and I interpret my Charles' declaration on his marriage record that his father was Levy Lewis as meaning that
    • their son Isaac was born in London which does not match the place of birth claimed by my Charles in census returns - except the one for 1901
    • bucking the family pattern, my Charles named his last rather than his first son Abraham
    Issues: Requires me to believe that in addition to changing his name from Levy to Lewis he spent most of his life pretending to be born in York (charles Lewis of York versus Isaac Levy of London)

Steve
    You refer to Abraham and Louisa Levy among the potential 'candidates'. Does Louisa die in 1877 and is their son called Aaron and their daughter Elizabeth who married a Hart. Louisa dies at 21 Bell Lane Spitalfields.
    You might want to say more about the family you have noted.
    Phillip

Steve
    I have seen the records relating to Abraham Levy and Louisa Judah and note that Abraham died 25 Jan 1894 at 2 Devonshire St Newington Causeway leaving probate to his son Isaac Levy licensed victualler amongst others. In addition, Louisa died 20.12.1877 age 76 at 21 Bell Lane- her son Aaron of 63 Hackney Road had also died age 37 on 22.11.1877 and his sister Elizabeth Hart died on 29.12.1877 age 34 at her father's house 21 Bell Lane Spitalfields. A tombstone for all 3 was set at West Ham Cemetery on 12 May 1878. These references are all in The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999 Pub Robert Boyd

Do the addresses mean anything to you? Looks to me a 'long shot' if this is your family. What do you think?
    Phillip

slewis1

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    I have seen the records relating to Abraham Levy and Louisa Judah and note that Abraham died 25 Jan 1894 at 2 Devonshire St Newington Causeway leaving probate to his son Isaac Levy licensed victualler amongst others.
    Thanks Philip, I think your information is sufficient for me to eliminate candidate 3. If he was ever Isaac Levy, my Charles/Isaac was well established as Charles Isaac Lewis, Greengrocer well before 1894 according to the the census returns for 1881 and 1891.

The more I think about the naming pattern, the more I think, with his first daughter named Amelia his wife's mother's name, that I should be looking for a Lewis (the name of his first son.) Taking into account his marriage certificate, which gave his father's name as Levy Lewis, I guess that means I could be looking for a Levy Lewis, Lewis Levy, or a Lewis Lewis - depending on whether the name was changed from Levy to Lewis and when.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast