lise7894

Default Dispatches Mention Information

Hello
    I'm trying to find out a little about my Great Grandfathers WW1 experiences. His name was William James Coulter born 1880 Prince of Wales Own West Yorks division Co Sejt - May No 200713

I know that he was mentioned in Dispatches on the 22nd May 1917, however where can I find out more about the reasons for this? Can this be done online? Is there a place to tell me what medals he received. My grandmother remembers they were allowed to play with them in the garden??

Many Thanks for your input I'm very new to this !
    Last edited by lise7894; 08-11-2012 at 5:42 PM. Reason: More info req

Nicolina

you could try the Regiments website at
    https://www.
    pwo-yorkshire.museum/
    they also have a museum in York.
    Elaine (who's father was in the 1st/5th West Yorks)

Reputation beyond repute

Co Sejt - May
    Er. The medal index card shows his rank as Co. Serjt.-Maj. In other words, Company Sergeant Major.

Have you been through all the medal cards? I can see reference to the British War Medal & Victory medal.

Why is W J COULTER also shown as W J EVANS?

Was he a regular? If so his service record may still be with the MoD. Have you applied for a copy?

Reputation beyond repute

One of the cards says he was in the 2/5th Battalion. IF this is correct, you may like to get hold of the book (eg via your local library service) called "Massacre on the Marne: The Life and Death of the 2/5th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War" by Fraser Skirrow, ISBN: 1 84415 496 3

Apparently the battalion was a second line territorial unit so he may not have been a regular.

lise7894

Thank you for your responses

My Gt Grandfathers foster parents name was Evans, he seems to have gone back to his birth name Coulter during WW1

I have managed to obtain his Certificate of employment during the war where it mentions he was enlisted as a Clerk. It also states he was wounded twice whilst in France
    It also mentions he was actually mentioned in dispatches twice 22/5/1917 and 05/02/1918
    I presume that the Certificate of Employment is different to his service record which is possibly still held by MOD, could I trouble you with asking the best way to contact them? as mentioned before I am very new to this

Thank you so much for the book recommendation, I am really looking into this for my 90 year old grandmother who wants to find out a little bit more about her father (like many WW1 veterans he never spoke of his experiences) I'm thinking this would make a lovely Xmas present x

I will also be contacting the PWO - Yorkshire museum

Reputation beyond repute

1. You'll want to find supporting evidence for the alleged second MID. It should be in the London Gazette.

2. About his service record - I thought initially that he was probably a regular as he was a Warrant Officer. As I read on I thought that was less likely. It depends when he was discharged. If he was discharged after 1921 or something like that (you should check that date), service records will be still with the MoD. See https://
    https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html. You may feel that you want to be sure about things before applying. The fee isn't refundable.

3. If I were you I would have a look at the book before deciding whether it's a suitable present for Granny. It may be a bit gruelling. The battalion came to a tragic end - see the word "death" in the title.

lise7894

Just wanted to give you all an update really. Managed to get a copy of the book "Massacre on the Marne: The Life and Death of the 2/5th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War" by Fraser Skirrow, ISBN: 1 84415 496 3 and so glad I did because my Gt grandfather is mentioned (along with his army no) serveral times.......so pleased

Nicolina

that's great news. All I have are a couple of photos of the 1/5th and dad's cap badge but know very little about his actual service. One thing he taught me, that I shall never forget.
    When
    England
    Stands
    To

Your
    Own
    Regiment
    Keenly
    Seeks
    High
    Information
    Regarding
    Enemy.

fraser.skirrow

Hello lise7894 - I am also new to this forum

On 17th April 1917 Sgt Mjr Coulter was out on patrol in no man's land with Lt AWL Smith. I would have to check on the detailed records to see if they were on the same patrol but Lt Smith was decorated for this patrol and Lt Skirrow for one a few days later so I think this is a possible candidate for his MiD. An alternative is the entry in the war diary " Sgt Major Coulter to be in King's Birthday honours list for work in Ten Tree Alley" which relates to the patrol actions in February 1917. He was clearly a keen patrol commander - he goes out on some very exciting missions near Bullecourt in September 1917. I can copy the original patrol reports if you would like them? Glad you enjoyed my book. I would like to know more about him and get a photo if I could? Cheers Fraser