djcrellin67

Default Egremont Cinema Company and Castle Cinema

I have been researching the life of Daniel Crellin (1867-1929) from newspapers, Methodist church records, census records and GRO certificates for ten years. He was very active in the municipal affairs of Dalton-in-Furness where he lived, and a member of Lancashire County Council 1925-8. I have a fairly complete biography, but there is one gap I hope to close through this forum. I'd be glad to share what I know of him, but doubt anyone is interested who doesn't already know about him.

djcrellin67

The gap I'm trying to fill is to locate any records from the cinema company he founded in about 1924. The company was called Egremont Cinema Company Limited and it seems to have owned only one cinema, The Castle Cinema in Egremont. I have found some blogs that suggest that cinema ceased operating some time between 1956 and 1961 and its building was demolished in August 2007.

Coromandel

This report of the 2007 demolition says that the cinema had closed in 1976:

https://www.
    newsandstar.co.uk/the-view-from-the-threepenny-seats-1.193834?referrerPath=home/2.1962

Mutley

Would Lancashire Council or FHS have records of Insurance Policies?
    Might help sort out dates of ownership.

djcrellin67

Many thanks coromandel. That article gives a lot of life to what has been a dry fact up to now. Daniel Crellin was the chairman of the company which owned the cinema and founded that company in 1924. I want to know who the other shareholders were, so it's interesting that some of them were deputies at the Windscale pit. Daniel Crellin knew a cinema manager, Jack Backhouse, in his native town, Dalton-in-Furness, and that town was a mining town in the 1920s.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The London Gazette has a notice that suggests it was sub let to a Gregory SHOFT ( SHORT)
    london-gazette.co.uk/issues/49881/pages/13139

london-gazette.co.uk/issues/49881/pages/13143

london-gazette.co.uk/issues/49892/pages/13664

djcrellin67

Thanks - further evidence that the cinema building became a snooker and pool bar after the cinema closed in 1976 and the first I've heard that this successor enterprise went bankrupt in about 1984.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I read it that Mr S may have had a lease with the owners of the Building not that he owned any part of it!

You know when the company Egremont Cinema Company Limited was formed, do ytou know what happened to it? i.e. dissolved / closed.

Then who actually owned the building, your ancestor / Egremont Cinema Company Limited /a.n Other as in renting the land & premises!

The company could have leased the building....

Land Registry may be able to assist you in part of this www.landregistry.gov.uk

Ref#3 I found sale details on a well known house site! Which suggests planning was obtained Dec 2010 ( I have pm'd you the link)

did you get your query answered? I have just coma across a letter from the Egremont Cinema Limited on May 15 1923. Headed paper with the names of the 4 directors. A couple of family members were shareholders

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

Have you tried Cinema Treasures website. There is some info there.