Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    allyjane

Default Help me find Lewis Lyon

Hello, this is my first time on this site, I am trying to trace my ggg grandfather Lewis Lyon I can find no record of his birth, I have though found that he was baptized in 1811 where he converted from Judaism all other records I have census etc which he says he was born in City of London 1791, has anybody any ideas Thanks Allyjane

Do you have any additional information on Lewis Lyon- who did he marry; who were his children; what census records data do you have? The more information you can supply the better chance of finding new data.
    Have you looked on Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes sites- I can see various references to Lewis Lyon but have insufficient data to confirm whether or not the records are relevant.
    Phillip

Mutley

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Quite often you will not find a birth date prior to 1837 when births started to be officially registered.
    A baptism or christening, if you are lucky, may have a birth date but not often.

There is a Lewis Lyon that looks to be a possible in the census - married to a Caroline. Is he yours?

If so, the marriage entry is very interesting.
    Lewis Lyon of Mile End Old Town, a bachelor married Caroline Dunkin of the same place, a spinster.
    at Stepney St Dunstan and All Saints on 5 June 1814.

Then it is all crossed out, big lines horizontally through it and in the margin it says:
    "Forbid, neither of the parties being resident in the Parish"

As Phillip said, please tell us more so we know if we are searching for the right Lewis Lyon.

Mutley

The baptism of Lewis Lyon (if I have the right one) was at St Antholin, Budge Row, City of London on 5 June 1811.

It just says "Lewis Lyon, an adult, jew, was baptised June 5 1811"

I should think Phillip's advice on where to look would be your best option.

On Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 551 there is the entry for Saul Lyon who died 1798 with wife Katherine and son Lewis- Saul was a tailor New Court St James Duke's Place. This is just one entry and no proof that your Lewis is the same person identified in the will.
    Phillip

allyjane

Default Lewis

Thank you so much to Phillip and Mutley this is the information that I have gathered
    Lewis married Caroline Dunkin on 30 Jan 1815 at St Brides Fleet Street
    Children were
    William Lyon born 1815 Whitechapel christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Henry Lyon born 1817 Tower Hamlets
    Hannah Lyon 1820 City of London
    Caroline Lyon 1821 City of London
    Edwin Dunkin Lyon 1824 City of London
    Eliza Lyon 1825 City of London
    James Lyon 1829 Manchester
    Francis Lyon 1831 City of London
    Eleanor Lyon 1833 City of London
    Rosina Lyon 1835 christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Sarah Lyon 1837 christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Mary Ann Lyon 1840 Camberwell

I have found 2 Census in 1841 Lewis is aged 48 occ Tailor living in St Georges Row St Giles Camberwell
    1851 census age 58 occ Bonnet and bloater maker living in St Georges Row Camberwell
    I have Lewis,s death certificate he died 1858 living St Georges Row
    On all the childrens marriage records his occupation is Tailor
    Hope this helps once again thank you allyjane

Quote Originally Posted by allyjane View Post
    Thank you so much to Phillip and Mutley this is the information that I have gathered
    Lewis married Caroline Dunkin on 30 Jan 1815 at St Brides Fleet Street
    Children were
    William Lyon born 1815 Whitechapel christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Henry Lyon born 1817 Tower Hamlets
    Hannah Lyon 1820 City of London
    Caroline Lyon 1821 City of London
    Edwin Dunkin Lyon 1824 City of London
    Eliza Lyon 1825 City of London
    James Lyon 1829 Manchester
    Francis Lyon 1831 City of London
    Eleanor Lyon 1833 City of London
    Rosina Lyon 1835 christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Sarah Lyon 1837 christened by Curate of Episcopal Jews Chapel
    Mary Ann Lyon 1840 Camberwell

I have found 2 Census in 1841 Lewis is aged 48 occ Tailor living in St Georges Row St Giles Camberwell
    1851 census age 58 occ Bonnet and bloater maker living in St Georges Row Camberwell
    I have Lewis,s death certificate he died 1858 living St Georges Row
    On all the childrens marriage records his occupation is Tailor
    Hope this helps once again thank you allyjane
    Hi Allyjane, your Lewis Lyon is the brother of my ggg grandfather Joseph (I think!) Drop me a message if you get this so we can compare notes!

Thanks
    Justin

Oh do show us how you know the relationship justinl1837. The reason I ask is because so many other people who might have a connection will see it and you could get in contact with other relatives (no matter how distant). If you exchange info by private message then no one else gets a chance.
    I lave LYON(S) on my family tree and it would be lovely to connect
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Oh do show us how you know the relationship justinl1837. The reason I ask is because so many other people who might have a connection will see it and you could get in contact with other relatives (no matter how distant). If you exchange info by private message then no one else gets a chance.
    I lave LYON(S) on my family tree and it would be lovely to connect
    Hello!

The keywords in my post are "I think" - I think that Lewis is possibly my Joseph Lyons brother but am not sure. I have a good paper trail back to Joseph and I know that Joseph's father's name was Saul from a transcribed marriage record from the Great Synagogue of Joseph's marriage in 1819 as well as finding his headstone in West Ham which gives his fathers name as Saul.
    I am trying to get further back to discover our exact origins which I believe to be Poland but have been sidetracked with other branches recently as well as a foray into the fascinating world of DNA testing, all interesting stuff. There were quite a few Lyons in East London where mine came from as well.
    And I totally agree about keeping the messages in the open so to speak, all very useful when searching the internet!

Best wishes,
    Justin

Justin
    You mention the marriage of Joseph Lyon GSM 1819 with Saul as his father. I can't see a marriage of Joseph Lyon on the Synagogue Scribes data base for the year 1819 but there is the GSM 188/32 Marriage Lewis Lyon 13 May 1819 father's Hebrew name Saul PELLER (or FELLER) - spouse Sarah ELIAS father's Hebrew name Aharon.
    Importantly, there are marriages for Kitty Lyon to Lazarus JACOBS 1800-1801 with her father Saul Peller and it looks like her sister Nancy Lyon 1816 also marrying a Lazarus Jacobs ( is this because of the death of Kitty) and Nancy's father is also Saul Peller.
    Did you mistakenly mix Joseph and Lewis marriage in 1819?
    What does the headstone of Saul Lyon say and when did he die- is this the 1798 death referred to in a early post on this thread? Any other data would be very useful.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast