Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Phillip,
    My Joseph is on the SynagogueScribes site as Reuben Joseph Lyon GSM 186/17. So far I haven't found his father Saul's death yet either. I have been away for a month but now intend trying to find it! As far as I am aware Saul was a tailor in London but before that I don't know where the family came from, I'm assuming somewhere around Poland/Ukraine but it's early days yet. I have done a Y-DNA test and the close matches I have from that are also in that area so on the right track anyway. Currently trying to find other cousins as well, I can't be the only one doing this
    Apologies if this is rambly, been a long day!
    Regards
    Justin

allyjane

Quote Originally Posted by justintl1837 View Post
    Hi Allyjane, your Lewis Lyon is the brother of my ggg grandfather Joseph (I think!) Drop me a message if you get this so we can compare notes!

Thanks
    Justin
    Hello Justin,Back on the trail again after leaving Lewis for a while I would like to swap notes with you Allyjane

allyjane

Hello Have just seen your message re Lyon family I am still trying to find my elusive ancestor Lewis Lyon any info would be great or the Lyons in your family tree Thanks Allyjane

Loves to help with queries

Default Using DNA: Jews from Poland/Ukraine etc

Quote Originally Posted by justintl1837 View Post
    Phillip,
    <I don't know where the family came from, I'm assuming somewhere around Poland/Ukraine but it's early days yet. I have done a Y-DNA test and the close matches I have from that are also in that area so on the right track anyway. Currently trying to find other cousins as well, I can't be the only one doing this
    Hi Justin,
    Using DNA testing may or may not be very useful for your searches. My understanding is that trying to identify cousins via ancestors more than about four generations back is difficult and that for populations that were endogamous (marrying within their own group) e.g. Ashkenazi Jews, it's even harder. Unless you can find place names in census, naturalization or synagogue records, I suspect it will be very hard to pinpoint an origin beyond Poland/Prussia/Russia/Ukraine etc.

(Most of my Jewish ancestry comes via one family who were already in Devon by the later 1700s. The strongest clue I have of origin, apart from marriage and synagogue affiliations, is that one of my 3x gr grandfathers is recorded as Yiddish-English translator for the congregation.)

Eve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12