Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Isambard

Default William Cuthbert Marine Light Infantry 1919

William Robert Hutton Cuthbert, age 21, married Elsie Plummer age 26, on 28 January 1919, in Beechwood, Dalmuir, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland. His occupation was listed as Ship Plater(I think - difficulty reading), - Private, Marine Light Infantry, residence Second Terrace, Radnor Park - presently HMS Cornwall.

Does "Ship Plater" make sense and if so what did one do? Was HMS Cornwall then a ship or an on-shore establishment and where would it have been located?

Reputation beyond repute

Does "Ship Plater" make sense and if so what did one do?
    I would recommend access to a good dictionary.

Plater: A person employed in the manufacture or application of metal plates, esp. in shipbuilding.

A plater prepares plates to be used in making tanks, boilers, hulls etc ready for the riveter to fir them in place

Name well known on Brit-Gen

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips...5Cornwall1.htm

From

https://
    scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Ship Plater = Shipyard worker building and repairing hulls of ships with metal sheets (plates)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips...5Cornwall1.htm

From

https://
    scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Ship Plater = Shipyard worker building and repairing hulls of ships with metal sheets (plates)
    Thanks Waitabit

Looks as if young William may have joined Cornwall when it was assigned to training duties in 1919, unless he was onboard during Cornwall's period in China Station or South Atlantic service (1916-1918) . I assume he would have joined the Royal Marines at age 17 or 18. Join the Navy (Royal Marines) and see the world - while metal (not square) bashing!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

His service record might throw some light on your question:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D7824867

From the medal roll he served throughout WW1 being awarded the 14-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal.

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    His service record might throw some light on your question:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=D7824867

From the medal roll he served throughout WW1 being awarded the 14-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal.
    Thanks for the link, interesting material found. William Cuthbert enlisted 3 Sept 1914, birthdate listed as 11 Oct 1896, vs GROS birth registration 11 Oct 1897, ie he was actually just shy of his 17th birthday when he enlisted, not 18th. He served in HMS Diana, HMS Cromwell (including the 23 April 1918 raid on Zeebrugge) and finally in HMS Impregnable, to discharge in January 1920.

Isambard

William Robert Hutton Cuthbert married Elsie Plummer on 28 January 1919, in Beechwood, Dalmuir, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland.
    They had two children, William Plummer Cuthbert b. 1919, Old Kilpatrick and Dorothy May Cuthbert b. 1923, Old Kilpatrick(?).

William Plummer Cuthbert married Jeanie R. Cardoo, 1941, Old Kilpatrick. Dorothy May Cuthbert married John Cardoo, 1945, Old Kilpatrick.

Interesting, perhaps the Cardoos were sister and brother?

cuthbert251

Red face william

This was my granpa, and William plummer Cuthbert was my dad. The cardoos were brother and sister, so therefore a brother and sister married a brother and sister. My dad was born in 1920.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    William Robert Hutton Cuthbert married Elsie Plummer on 28 January 1919, in Beechwood, Dalmuir, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton, Scotland.
    They had two children, William Plummer Cuthbert b. 1919, Old Kilpatrick and Dorothy May Cuthbert b. 1923, Old Kilpatrick(?).

William Plummer Cuthbert married Jeanie R. Cardoo, 1941, Old Kilpatrick. Dorothy May Cuthbert married John Cardoo, 1945, Old Kilpatrick.

Interesting, perhaps the Cardoos were sister and brother?

Isambard

Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert251 View Post
    This was my granpa, and William plummer Cuthbert was my dad. The cardoos were brother and sister, so therefore a brother and sister married a brother and sister. My dad was born in 1920.
    Hello cuthbert251,
    Your grandfather, William Robert Hutton Cuthbert (Willie), was my mother's cousin, her mother, Mary Fraser Hutton, being a sister of Elizabeth Mitchell Hutton, Willie's mother, who married William Robb Cuthbert.

My wife and I visited Willie and his daughter May, in Clydebank in July 1959.

I have some names and information about Huttons, dating back to John Hutton who married Margaret Clark 31 December 1798 in Perth.
    I would be happy to exchange further family information with you.

cuthbert251

Default Thanks

Hi there, many thanks for that reply. Do you mean my dad when you say you visited Willie, as I have a sister May, and my granpa married a May, but I don't have an aunt May?
    I have a bit of a family tree on my dads side, showing the relatives on the North Berwick and east coast. I should make more of an effort to look deeper into it, and on both parents side. I also know that I had an ancestor that fought in Culloden, in Lord Ogilvies Forthfarshire regiment, thanks to a relative from New Zealand that I was in touch with. And did you know there was a William Cuthbert blown up on HMS Barham, his name is in the Book of remembrance at Edinburgh castle, and is named on the site for the ship.
    I have very limited information, but if any of it is of any use I am happy to share it with you.

side
    Quote Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
    Hello cuthbert251,
    Your grandfather, William Robert Hutton Cuthbert (Willie), was my mother's cousin, her mother, Mary Fraser Hutton, being a sister of Elizabeth Mitchell Hutton, Willie's mother, who married William Robb Cuthbert.

My wife and I visited Willie and his daughter May, in Clydebank in July 1959.

I have some names and information about Huttons, dating back to John Hutton who married Margaret Clark 31 December 1798 in Perth.
    I would be happy to exchange further family information with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast