Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Cicero

Default Unable to trace Irish ancestry.

I have two Irish great-grandparents: Joseph Keeley (Born: 28 Oct 1899 Dublin, Died: 10 Apr 1987 Coventry) - his mother was Sarah Goggins and his father ? Keeley died at sea in 1900.

Joseph Keeley's wife was Elizabeth Mahoney (Born: 21 Dec 1900 Dublin, Died: 26 Dec 1975 Coventry) - her parents were James Mahoney and Bridget Dempsey.

I have been unable to find my Irish ancestors on the 1901 or 1911 Irish censuses. Does anybody have any advice on how to trace Irish family history.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello and welcome

I think I may have Joseph and mother Sarah in 1901 in house 13.1 in Mercer St Upper(Mansion House Dublin)
    Sarah Keely 22 niece, Joseph Keely 1 nephew with mary logan and patrick Keating.

Joseph's baptism is on the free Irish genealogy site, father James Keeley, mother Sarah Goggins. Address Misser (Mercer?) St.

Family search are also worth looking at - oh here is a record for Joseph Kealey alias Goggins (but also known as sarah Elmore which makes no sense) as an 18 year old prisoner in Mountjoy prison in Dublin. birthplace Mercer St

I'm afraid there are a few such records and poss some for mother Sarah... Times would have been hard for single parents in these days.

Super Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Family search are also worth looking at - oh here is a record for Joseph Kealey alias Goggins (but also known as sarah Elmore which makes no sense) as an 18 year old prisoner in Mountjoy prison in Dublin. birthplace Mercer St
    I know that my great-great grandfather, Joseph Keeley's dad, died at sea when Joseph was a baby, and that Joseph's mother Sarah Goggins re-married and that her second husband was very cruel to my great-grandfather so he went to live with other relatives at some point (probably during his teenage years).

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cicero View Post
    I know that my great-great grandfather, Joseph Keeley's dad, died at sea when Joseph was a baby, and that Joseph's mother Sarah Goggins re-married and that her second husband was very cruel to my great-grandfather so he went to live with other relatives at some point (probably during his teenage years).
    That is so very sad. Irish genealogy have a 1903 marriage of a Sarah Goggins and Peter Aylmer and this couple are on the 1911 census. Joseph is not with them. There is an 11 yr old Joseph Goggins nephew to a 65 yr old Sarah Goggins in Domenick St. I wonder if that could be him?

Also Joseph's birth should be registered and you can obtain a copy of the certificate from the GRO in Ireland. It should be indexed in Family Search under Ireland, Civil Registrations. I'm not sure if I have spotted him yet. I can see a John Joseph Keely birth Oct - Dec 1899 Dublin North but that may be someone different.

Looking at a Dublin map Mercer St is south of the river.

Super Cicero

Thanks for the help everyone. But I still can't find my great-grandmother Elizabeth Mahoney. And do any of you have any advice on finding the parents of James Keeley and Sarah Goggins?

By the way, if everything I've heard about Joseph Keeley from my father and grandmother is true (which I'm slightly doubtful of), then he had a very eventful life. He apparently had his own radio show in Dublin called the "Ok Keeley Show" (this part I'm confident isn't made up), but also he supposedly was in the Merchant Navy, fought in the Battle of Gallipoli (wasn't it mostly ANZAC troops there though?) and even served in the British Army in India where he supposedly became a very successful boxer.

Sounds like Joseph had quite a life!

For Dublin records I would start with irishgenealogy and Family Search, both free.

On irishgenealogy sarah's 1903 marriage has her parents Philip Goggins and sarah Goeguis(not sure about that)

That fits in with an 1878 baptism of a Sarah Christina Goggins , parents Philip Goggins and Sarah Murpphy.

Put Philip Goggins in as search term and you get baptisms of siblings plus an 1867 marriage of a Philip Goggins and Sarah Murphy and the names of their parents

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cicero View Post
    But I still can't find my great-grandmother Elizabeth Mahoney..
    Can't see her on irish genealogy but a few possibilities on FS. A birth reg of an Elizabeth Mahoney Jan - Mar 1900 looks the most promising. edit - no that wouldn't fit with her birthday

Did Joseph and Elizabeth stay in Dublin or did they meet in England?

Super Cicero

They stayed in Dublin until the early 1950s, when they moved to England.

Did they marry in 1922? It is quite hard to search for marriages in Family Search as spouses aren't given on the civil registration index. However a Joseph Keely and also an Elizabeth Mahony (note spellings) married in Oct - Dec 1922 Dublin South and are on the same index page. If that seems likely then order the marriage cert from GRO Roscommon which I gather is the cheapest way. Maybe you can specify that you only want it if they married each other.

If it is the right cert then with luck both fathers' names will be given. That should help with Elizabeth's birth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast