Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    clarefmshaw

Question Ship-based coastguard stations, Kent

Hopefully someone can help me with this one!

My g-g-grandfather, John Crone, gave his place of birth on various censuses as Sheerness or Queenborough (both the Isle of Sheppey, Kent) in 1828. When he was in the navy (prior to his coastguard career) his place of birth is recorded on a naval document as 'on board the ship 'Battis', The Downs, Kent'.

The Downs is situated off the Kent coastline between Deal and the Goodwin Sands and it was apparently where ships often waited for Thames pilots. I have however also read that old hulks were moored at the head of the Thames estuary and used as coastguard stations in the early 19th century. I believe that John's father, James Crone, was a coastguard serving in Kent about this time.

Has anyone any further information on these offshore coastguard stations? I have been unable to track down a ship called 'Battis' .

Many thanks
    Clare

busyglen

Hi Clare,

I have been doing a bit more `digging' since we last spoke, regarding the Battis, but so far haven't any leads. I suppose the name Battis is clear and not up for question? Will still keep trying but hope someone else may have information.

Glenys

clarefmshaw

hi Glenys, thanks for looking! Yes, I wondered about the ship's name and whether it might have been misspelled on the original naval document. A possibility is 'Baptiste', I thought, although I can't find anything on such a ship either.

I did wonder if it was a ship which was out of service and being used for a coastguard station, as I know I've read that this was the case at the beginning of the 19th century at the mouth of the Thames, as there was so much smuggling going on. I believe families of coastguards may have been on board these as well, hence John Crone's birth on board. Even if I can't track the 'Battis' down, I wondered if anyone had any more info on these 'off-shore' CG stations at this time?

many thanks
    Clare

Reputation beyond repute

Have you read the National Archives leaflet on Coastguards?

https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...?sLeafletID=54

You might find something in there which suggests a possibly productive way forward for you.

busyglen

Clare,

There were quite a few ships that were used as Coastguard stations. I found quite a few on the 1881 Census around the Gravesend, Hoo area of Kent. There were also a few (if my memory serves me correctly) around the coast of Sussex as well. I know that there were a couple moored here on the IOS as shown on my web site, but not sadly the one you want.

Quite often the ships had several families on board, which must have been very claustrophobic, as sometimes there were quite a few children to each family.

Hope you have some luck soon....will keep on looking.

Glenys

Terry

Default Crone

On the new Coastguard index at https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/C-E.html
    There are three Crone , and although possibly later than you want, interesting to note that they are all born in Ireland

clarefmshaw

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies - I actually found reference to offshore coastguard stations from the Stan Waight GENUKI site, as follows:

'The use of the word 'stations' is not strictly accurate, because, until the familiar blocks of Coastguard cottages were built during the second half of the nineteenth century, personnel were dispersed in ordinary houses in towns or villages round the coast (several hulks were moored in the creeks of Kent, Essex and other counties to accommodate Coastguard men and their families).'

I wondered whether my g-g-grandfather, John Crone, was born on one of these..... I'm hopefully visiting the PRO next week to try to track down any info on James Crone (a coastguard serving on Sheppey around 1830) who I think is probably John's father - so the PRO research guide will be useful!

Thanks again for help with this!
    Clare

clarefmshaw

Me again.....message particularly to Glenys:

Re: John Crone's birthplace - he gives this variously as Queensborough, Sheerness and then, on a naval document, as 'on board the ship Battis in The Downs, Kent'. Rather confusing as The Downs is off Deal......

But anyway, I have been nosing about and found mention of an HMS Bathurst on your site and elsewhere, which was used by the Coastal Blockade Service at Sheerness and, from 1832, as a coastguard station.

If you say 'Bathurst' quickly (particularly with an Irish pronounciation), I wonder if it's been mis-transcribed as 'Battis' - don't know what you think, but this is the closest yet!!

best wishes
    Clare

busyglen

I don't know why I didn't think of this Clare, when I checked the names when you first mentioned it.... It's definately a possibility. I'll see what I can dig up for you. I'm out tomorrow most of the day, but will have a look Tuesday.

Glenys

busyglen

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen
    I don't know why I didn't think of this Clare, when I checked the names when you first mentioned it.... It's definately a possibility. I'll see what I can dig up for you. I'm out tomorrow most of the day, but will have a look Tuesday.

Glenys
    Clare, have been a bit busy, but have been having a look around without much luck so far. I've tried searching various ways, but keep coming up with `Bathurst island'. I actually pulled up the one on my site in the process!

I suppose the only other possibility is via the actual Naval records? As he was shown as being born on the `Bathurst' (or whatever) his father would have had a naval record with details of his service, which would show the correct name of the ship. You might get a lead from the Leaflet that Peter suggested.

I won't give up though, and will try to find out more if I can.

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 02-08-2005 at 6:32 PM. Reason: Adding sentence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast