bryce_good

Default FileNumbers on FreeReg

greetings all, searches on FreeReg have returned information including a
    `FileNumber` (eg 17697) - can anyone please tell me what the FileNumber refers to and where I can find more about this record

thanks Bryce

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Bryce,

Welcome to BG.

To the best of my knowledge the file number is a reference for the FreeREG database only.

The important information you need is the church details at the top of the page.

Would you like to clarify "where I can find more about this record". e.g. Do you mean 'where can I find a copy of the original record from which the FreeREG entry was transcribed'/

Pam

bryce_good

hi Pam thanks for your quick reply - I was curious about this reference but I understand then that this number itself is of no use to a researcher as such. The other details recorded which lead to the original record are what count regards Bryce

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The other details recorded which lead to the original record are what count
    Got it in one, Bryce.

To the best of my knowledge, all Church of England PRs transcribed on FreeREG are held at the relevant county record office, and you can obtain photocopies for a fairly small fee. (i.e. usually cheaper than the cost of getting there!)

Most of London's are at the LMA - London Metropolitan Archives- and a lot of those up to about 1906 are online via Ancestry.

Some counties are online via Familysearch. Not all parishes and years for all counties though.

Some of Kent's (mostly in the Medway area) are available for free online via the CityArk website.
    Essex Record Office are gradually putting their PRs online, but for a fee.
    Lincolnshire Archives have a lot of theirs online for free but watermarked - good enough for all but the
    direct ancestors I find.

All the Record Offices/Archives should have on their websites a list of the PRs deposited with them, though some of them make it difficult to locate the list!

Alternatively, if you have a lot of entries you want copies of, it would probably be more economical to order in the film at one of the local LDS Family History Centres but if you want to print copies make sure that they have the facilities for you to do so.

I don't have any Welsh or Scottish ancestors, so I can't speak about those original records.
    The LDS seem to have filmed some Welsh stuff, and again copies should be available from local Record Offices.

Scottish PRs are online for a fee via ScotlandsPeople.

Pam

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by bryce_good View Post
    greetings all, searches on FreeReg have returned information including a
    `FileNumber` (eg 17697) - can anyone please tell me what the FileNumber refers to and where I can find more about this record
    Transcribers upload batches of records to FreeREG. The file number that you see identifies a particular batch of records that a record was uploaded in. The only use would be in getting a correction made to a mis-transcription, in that the batch and hence the original transcriber can be identified by the FreeREG people and actions initiated.

bryce_good

thanks Mike, appreciate your input - nicely described confirmation cheers Bryce

bryce_good

hi Pam and thanks again for your help - more stuff I can use in your last message

best regards Bryce