Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taiwan

Question John Dillon married Emma Brown c 1837

Have been searching for this wedding for a long time. John DILLON of Wickham would have married this lady prior to July 1837. It is possible they never married as there was a prior child (possibly John's as later takes his name). Lots of children born after this date.

Would love this detail if possible and any other information recorded -witnesses ...

alwayslooking

Not sure if you are still researching the Dillon family... I picked up on this because I live in Wickham.

Found this on familysearch - batch ref: I04389-0:

Emma Brown marriage on 22 July 1838 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England. Her father is Daniel Brown (ties in with another post you have made.)

Groom is shown as John Dilling Crew with father's name the same.

I had dismissed this but then was looking at Emma and John's family. Some of the children of their son Charles use the middle name of 'Carew' when they marry / die..... so the familysearch marriage entry could be a bad transcription. Would be interesting to see the original document.

Taiwan

Default John Dillon & Emma Brown

That is incredibly interesting. I am not sure how to follow that up - bit far away. My John Dillon's parents (as far as I can see) were John Dillon and Caroline Slade married Oct 1813, Gosport - we can't find any further information on her but the probability is high because shortly before they were married both are listed as witnesses to someone else's wedding in Wickham.

Would you be able to send me the information about their son's Charles' children's names? I have no idea where this "Crew" or Carew is coming from. But we had worked out that Emma Brown (dtr of Daniel) was the correct Emma (there were 2 in Wickham at the same time). Worked out because their was an illegitimate dtr Harriet who died aged 8. She was initially known as H Brown and later as H Dillon.

Thank you for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslooking View Post
    Not sure if you are still researching the Dillon family... I picked up on this because I live in Wickham.

Found this on familysearch - batch ref: I04389-0:

Emma Brown marriage on 22 July 1838 Alverstoke, Hampshire, England. Her father is Daniel Brown (ties in with another post you have made.)

Groom is shown as John Dilling Crew with father's name the same.

I had dismissed this but then was looking at Emma and John's family. Some of the children of their son Charles use the middle name of 'Carew' when they marry / die..... so the familysearch marriage entry could be a bad transcription. Would be interesting to see the original document.

Dizzy600

Quote Originally Posted by Taiwan View Post
    That is incredibly interesting. I am not sure how to follow that up - bit far away.
    Type in www.familysearch.org and click on search. Enter John Dilling Carew and up will come the record. It is a free site.

Good Luck

Karen

Taiwan

Default "Carew" Dillon

Yes, I have the John Dilling Crew marriage in Alverstoke from Family Search. Have used this (with care) for years. Alverstoke turns out to be right next to Gosport which is where his parents were married. They possibly chose not to be married in Wickham because a child was on the way.

Am keen to find the children of their son (Charles - can't find mention of a 'son' Charles but this John Dillon had a brother Charles)

I'm hoping that Carew might be the maiden name of JD juniors grandmother.

Thank you

I am
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Type in www.familysearch.org and click on search. Enter John Dilling Carew and up will come the record. It is a free site.

Good Luck

Karen

janbooth

Findmypast have some Hampshire Baptismal Transcriptions including those of the children of John & Caroline. It is a pay per view site but may provide extra information for you. John jnr is baptised where his 1861 census record shows.

Janet

janbooth

John DILLON snr and wife Caroline are in the 1861 census of Wickham (RG9/651, folio 146, page 3) living at Farmyard Cottage, Wickham Road. He is shown as aged 73, a Tanner, born Wickham and she as aged 65 born Bishop's Waltham.

Janet

alwayslooking

Hello - I visited the Gosport Archives yesterday to look at the Alverstoke parish register for the Emma Brown marriage - you probably have a copy of the certificate? If not, I have a copy which I could send to you. Emma's father, Daniel Brown, is a Thatcher. The groom John Dilling Crew is a Bricklayer. His father, also John Dilling Crew is a Tanner. Witnesses: Daniel Brown and Maria Brown.

I found John and Caroline's marriage entry for the Chapel of Gosport. They both signed their own names. Witnessed by William Gaman and Richard Welch - Richard signed others so he's probably a church official.

John & Caroline's son Charles was baptised 31 March 1833 at St Nicholas, Wickham. He married Ellen Robinson 4Q 1861 Bosmere, Suffolk. Children are: Charles b.1862, Caroline b.1864, John b.1866, Emily b.1868, Maria b.1870, Rosa b.1872, Ellen b.1873/d.1874, Flora Jane b.1875, George Edgar b.1878. In the 1911 census Ellen (now widowed) and her daughters Emily and Rosa are all using 'Carew' as their middle name. If you search for 'Charles Carew Dillon' you will find a website about 'Desborough People'
    where there is information about this family as they had moved there by 1871. If you search for 'John Carew Dillon' (b.1866) you will find some mentions of him too.

Jane

janbooth

That fits in very well with the 1871 record for John & Caroline doesn't it Jane. I too was attracted to this post as I attended Wickham Primary School in the 1950's and attended a ceremony to plant a tree in Wickham Square to commemorate the Queen's coronation. Happy memories!

Janet

Taiwan

I can't believe that you went to the archives for these for me. I am really touched. Thank you, thank you.
    I would love the official records. How do you get those to me? I know that many of these sites don't like us to put our email address online. Can a scan be posted on here?

What I wanted to check was whether the name was much more Dillon than "Dilling" - you wouldn't have thought that the people involved would allow their name to be mispelled - if they could read which is likely if their parents John and Caroline could.
    Is the name "Crew" listed as the surname or is it likely to be a middle name? i.e. is my family name not supposed to be Dillon???

I will try and follow up the names of that witness - William Gaman and see if he was a Wickham guy.

This is definitely my family because all the occupations of the people are correct. Am delighted to finally find this marriage of John and Emma.

Thank you again.
    I'm a bit out of internet contact for a week so responses likely to be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayslooking View Post
    Hello - I visited the Gosport Archives yesterday to look at the Alverstoke parish register for the Emma Brown marriage - you probably have a copy of the certificate? If not, I have a copy which I could send to you. Emma's father, Daniel Brown, is a Thatcher. The groom John Dilling Crew is a Bricklayer. His father, also John Dilling Crew is a Tanner. Witnesses: Daniel Brown and Maria Brown.

I found John and Caroline's marriage entry for the Chapel of Gosport. They both signed their own names. Witnessed by William Gaman and Richard Welch - Richard signed others so he's probably a church official.

John & Caroline's son Charles was baptised 31 March 1833 at St Nicholas, Wickham. He married Ellen Robinson 4Q 1861 Bosmere, Suffolk. Children are: Charles b.1862, Caroline b.1864, John b.1866, Emily b.1868, Maria b.1870, Rosa b.1872, Ellen b.1873/d.1874, Flora Jane b.1875, George Edgar b.1878. In the 1911 census Ellen (now widowed) and her daughters Emily and Rosa are all using 'Carew' as their middle name. If you search for 'Charles Carew Dillon' you will find a website about 'Desborough People'
    where there is information about this family as they had moved there by 1871. If you search for 'John Carew Dillon' (b.1866) you will find some mentions of him too.

Jane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast