Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Reputation beyond repute

Occupation is hard to mke out but looks like baker,
    Journeyman Baker

Reputation beyond repute

Interestingly the 2 other men listed at the same address are also in the same profession
    More than that actually. There's a baker plus 4 journeymen, one of them probably the proprietor's son. There are some good books around on the census and how to interpret them. You might fancy having a look at The National Archives bookshop.

I was going to remark on the prestigious address but unfortunately this isn't the Regent Street but what is now called Regency Street. Not that it really matters because it doesn't look very much like your man

janbooth

See post 15 above. Henry & Maria are living in Uxbridge with their two children.

Janet

Jenko

Just trying to understand all the info I've gathered over last couple of days. Can you explain the reference numbers you list against census entries i.e. 1851 census of Uxbridge (HO107/1697, folio 28, page 16) shows a Henry BISHOP. Can i use these to seach on, where do I find them. I'm mainly using Ancestry for my research and certainly for census, is there a better site to use? Thanks.
    Jenko

Mutley

The Home Page of British Genealogy has quite a few explanations that may help you. It's worth having a browse around it.
    The explanation regarding reference numbers can be found at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/cen...eferences.html

If you are using Ancestry then you need to go to the specific census search page and make sure you are in Advanced Search.
    There is a bar along the top of the Home Page. From left to right the options are Home, Family Trees, Search etc.
    If you click search a drop down box appears, choose: Census & Electoral Rolls Records
    Ignore the entry fields and scroll down to Search Individual Census Records
    For your example, click 1851 England Census

Now you will find yourself with lots of fields to complete. Don't worry too much. Less is often more.
    In your example you were given Henry Bishop, 1697/28/16
    Just type 1697 into the Piece Number Field, 28 into the Folio Field and 16 into the Page#. Click Search

You will be given all those with that reference number and it is easy to see Henry and also easy to see that his surname has been transcribed wrongly as Brishop. Had you also entered Bishop in the surname field, it would have returned you Bishops from everywhere but not yours because it will default to the surname entered.

All of the sites have their own way of searching by reference number. It is a handy tool to use because the originals are all the same but the transcriptions of them can vary from site to site.
    Ancestry is as good or as bad in different ways to the others but does have more London records.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi I am a descendant of Henry bishop and have information on the bishop family

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Becky. Unfortunately, T's nearly 5 years since Jenko came here. If the email address they registered with is still valid, they may get an email to say that you have replied, otherwise not.

Why not have a look at the rest of BG and then tell us a bit about your research?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234