Maggie Mae

Default William Tuckwood 1780 Shoemaker-Notts.St Mary

Hi everyone,

I have searched as many records as been available to find William Tuckwood Shoemaker,but no luck.He was living in St Marys Nottingham.In 1814 he was living at Boot Lane,Shoemaker,1822 living at Cross St,Shoemaker.1825,living at Cross St,Shoemaker.1834 Shoemaker with Charles Tuckwood Son? at Beck Lane.Has anyone any other records that will give me where he learnt his Trade prior to 1814.He married in Nottingham St Marys 1803.Was he a Shoemaker then?Is there anyway I can find out?
    Going off at a tangent,is there any other way to find witnessess to a marriage when they are not on the cert.prior to 1800's.?
    If you can help me solve this,I will love you all forever!!!!!
    Maggie

gasser

Having had a similar query in my own family and not finding a mention anywhere , I did learn that not all apprenticeships were recorded especially for common trades such as weaving, or other 18th century industries, thus informal indentures became more common with fathers teaching sons and nephews their trade. So I can only assume that the trade was learnt via father to son / nephew. Frustrating .......yes.

Reputation beyond repute

is there any other way to find witnessess to a marriage when they are not on the cert.prior to 1800's.?
    Not sure that I'm with you there. The standard printed marriage registers should show witnesses from 1754.