Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherlock

Jennifer60

Default Sherlock

Hello I'm fairly new to searching and seem to be going around in circles, I'm looking for information on my great grandfather Robert Sherlock dob around 1847 in Ireland (cork) his wife's maiden name (Hannah Shine)is listed as a widow in the census for and 1911 and 1901. I would also like to find any info on their first son also Robert Sherlock born 1891, I particularly would like to know how my great grandfather died and where? My great grandmother's age is listed as 38 in the 1901 census and 36 in the 1911 census? also very confusing? my grandfather John and his siblings are listed on both census records,any help would be much appreciated,many thanks Jennifer
    Last edited by Jennifer60; 16-10-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: typo

MarkJ

Can you give the census references for the family in 1901 and 1911 so that members here will be able to identify the family in earlier records?

Ages on census forms can be taken with a pinch of salt at times. It depends who gave the information and if they knew the actual ages of those other folk in the dwelling. A few years here and there is very common

Reputation beyond repute

This is isn't an Irish genealogy question is it, by any chance? If so, this site has more appropriate forums eg "General Irish Family History"

Coromandel

In case it helps others in the search, this looks like the family in Devonshire Lane, Cork (City) in 1901:

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000525780/

and still there in 1911:
    https://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai001883581/

Both 1901 and 1911 census returns state that Hannah Sherlock could not read. The 1911 census is signed by John Sherlock, probably the 18 year old son, who had presumably filled in the form; his signature has been crossed out and replaced by the mark of Hannah Sherlock. This is probably because it was supposed to be the head of the family who signed the form. In 1901 the form may well have been filled in by the census enumerator. The discrepancy in Hannah's age between 1901 and 1911 may be due to a misunderstanding, or bad maths . . . or perhaps she really didn't know how old she was.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This is isn't an Irish genealogy question is it, by any chance? If so, this site has more appropriate forums eg "General Irish Family History"
    Having found the entries in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses for Ireland (both in Devonshire Lane (Cork No. 7 Urban (part of), Cork)), I shall move this across to the Cork section of Ireland.

janbooth

Hello Jennifer,

Interesting marriage on Irish Genealogy website:

2 October 1880 at SS Peter & Paul, Cork Thomas ATKINS of 3 Kyles Street & Hannah SHINE of 16 Miller Street. Witnesses: Robert SHERLOCK & Lizzie DAILY. Could Hannah have been married previously perhaps?

And could this perhaps be a further generation back also at the same church:

26 October 1862 Robertum SHERLOCK, 58 Clarance Street Corcagia, parents Roberto SHERLOCK & Margarita COLLINS married to Bridgidam RYAN, 99 South Main Street, Corcagia, parents Joanne RYAN (presumably John) & CALLANAN Maria. Witnesses: Gulielmo SHERLOCK & Caterina McNAMARA.

There is a birth/baptismal entry at the same church for a Robert SHERLOCK 16/21 June 1868 parents Robert SHERLOCK & Briget RYAN plus entries for other siblings.

Not sure how these would fit into the birthdate of 1847 for your Robert SHERLOCK unless Bridget died, Thomas ATKYNS died and Robert snr married Hannah. How did you arrive at the birthdate of 1847 for your Robert? One would think they must be connected somehow though.

Janet

Jennifer60

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I had no idea how to use this site so apologies if i asked a question in the wrong area,Jennifer

Jennifer60

Thanks so much for responding,yes the John you refer to is my grandfather,and I thought maybe she made a mistake on her age? but I didn't realise she couldn't read or write so it makes sense now,but it's Robert Sherlock I need to find evidence of and the Sherlock line, I have found the Shine line,both my great grandmother and her mother were called Hannah,this is where I tend to get confused!thanks again Jennifer

Jennifer60

Thanks so much for responding, I also found the above, but I assumed the witness Lizzie Daily wasn't necessarily a relation of the other witness Robert Sherlock (who I'm looking for and I'm thinking is my great grandfather) to be honest I'm so confused I'm not sure where I got 1847 as his birth date?

Jennifer60

Thanks so much for responding the people below have kindly added the info, I know my grandfather Johns age is correct in both records as his birth date was definately 1st January 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast