Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Does eiither Henry belong in my tree?

I am fully aware that literacy was not a high requirement for Ag. Lab.'s and Miners in Cornwall in the early 19th century and as a result there are several variations of the Eustice/Eustace/Eustis surname

What is also compounding my problem is the close proximity of parishes and the same given name of the father.

Over the weekend, a distant [possible] rellie and I were comparing our trees and were looking specifically at one Henry Eustice.

Her tree has Henry Eustice, born about 1823 in Crowan. She has no father listed and the mother is Philippa. She told me her reasoning for the name of the mother was from an 1851 census which listed Philippa as mother [married, but no father in residence], Henry aged 28, Jane aged 27 and Joseph aged 10. The ref. is H0107/1913/539/12. Henry's occ. was listed as a Gardener.

We then found a baptism for a Henry Eustice in Crowan on 20 July 1823, son of Henry and Philippa. Father was a miner. We have not found a baptism for Jane or Joseph.We have a marriage that took place in Crowan on 21 May 1851. Cornwall OPC has the name of the spouse as Elizabeth Mildrum. The groom's father is Henry - but his occupation is a Miller [which may be incorrect] Henry's occupation is listed as a Labourer.

She has all details of this family after marriage.

In my tree I have 3 children - George, Jane and Hannah [my great-great grandmother]. All were born in Gwinear and baptised between 1813 and 1821. The parents were Henry [a miner] and Honour. I have a marriage between Henry and Honour Heather that took place in Gwinear on 13 September 1812. Henry's occupation was a Miner. By 1851 all 3 children were married.

In the 1851 census Hannah and her husband - William Ball - were living in Ludgvan. The ref. is H0107/1917/193/5. With them is a Henry Eustis aged 26, employed as an Engine Worker and born in Lelant. He is single and is stated as a Lodger.

Obviously this is not the same Henry that married in May 1851 and so we may not be related after all.

This particular Henry from 1851 census would appear to be the son of Henry and Jane. He was baptised in Lelant on 29 April 1824. He was the 1st child born to Henry and Jane. His parents were married in Lelant on 21 December 1823. Her name was Jane Uren and was a spinster and his father [Henry] was a widower.

I am trying to find out what happened to my Henry after 1851.

Thanks for reading and hopeful of some answers

Colin.

Knowledgeable and helpful

1861 Poplar RG 9; Piece: 310; Folio: 59; Page: 37
    Henry Eustice ( Ancestry have Eustire) engine driver b Cornwall 1825
    Elizabeth wife b Cornwall 1835
    Henry son b Poplar 1856
    Thomas Rd son b Bromley 1859
    Ann Richards, visitor b Cornwall 1845

This could be your Henry judging buy the occupation - should look for them in later censuses to see if his birthplace is given

RG10; Piece: 587; Folio: 22; Page: 44
    Eustace
    1871 still says just Cornwall - two more children Jane 1864 & Elizth 1866 ( Anc have last child Elbect)

Henry Eustice Engine driver - father Henry also engine driver, married Elizabeth Ann Richards, father William also engine driver, at Stepney - St Dunstans, Feb 2 1856 (both living at 4 Kirby St at the time)

Jane Elizabeth Eustace father Henry engineer, married Robert Lusty in 1892. I think I found Thomas Richard in a later census but didn't write the details down - but no sign of Henry & Elizabeth after 1871 yet - over to you Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    Henry Eustice Engine driver - father Henry also engine driver, married Elizabeth Ann Richards, father William also engine driver, at Stepney - St Dunstans, Feb 2 1856 (both living at 4 Kirby St at the time)
    So this would appear to be the same Henry that was with Hannah Ball in 1851. Can he be found in 1841 other than as a M.S. in Crowan, Cornwall?

It also appears that I have the wrong baptism as it indicates the father Henry was a Miner.

Colin

by the way - the Henry of Crowan who married Elizabeth Mildrum, would appear to be the same chap who married Eizabeth Knight in 1859 - then a widower. He and Elizabeth can be found in quite a few censuses and so must be a different chap to the Henry who was Hannah's brother - and I still cant find Hannah & co in 1861 ( see Colin's thread about George Eustice Ball)

But a miner could also have been an engine driver - either above or below ground. Cant find Henry ( 1825) in 1841 nor a baptism which would help.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    But a miner could also have been an engine driver - either above or below ground. Cant find Henry ( 1825) in 1841 nor a baptism which would help.
    I have found 3 baptisms from Cornwall OPC for Henry
    Crowan
    6 May 1821 - s/o Thomas and Philippa - Thomas was a Miner
    20 July 1823 - s/o Henry and Philippa - Henry was a Miner.

Lelant
    29 April 1824 - s/o Henry and Jane - Henry was a Miner

1841 census ref. H0107/141/8/5/2. Henry is transcribed as Eustis. Parish is Crowan. Occupation was a M.S. The image is vey faint but I think the family above him is SEMMONS and he may be working/living with them.

Really starting to look like he doesn't belong in my tree.

Thank you for your help, lesleys.

Colin

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Her tree has Henry Eustice, born about 1823 in Crowan. She has no father listed and the mother is Philippa. She told me her reasoning for the name of the mother was from an 1851 census which listed Philippa as mother [married, but no father in residence], Henry aged 28, Jane aged 27 and Joseph aged 10. The ref. is H0107/1913/539/12. Henry's occ. was listed as a Gardener.

We then found a baptism for a Henry Eustice in Crowan on 20 July 1823, son of Henry and Philippa. Father was a miner. We have not found a baptism for Jane or Joseph.
    There's some information on Rootsweb about Henry Eustis/Eustice and Philippa Commens, who married 31 Aug 1822, Crowan; there are baptism dates for seven children, including Henry (1823), Jane (1828) and Joseph (1840).

According to this tree, the Henry baptised 1823 married twice, firstly to Elizabeth Hoare Mildrum (1851, Crowan) and secondly to Elizabeth Knight (1859, Camborne).

https://
    wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=dawnajl&id=I13537

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast