Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by InnesH View Post
    Don't believe Francis Xavier fits the bill
    You may change your mind after reading the next-of-kin information on his army papers.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    You may change your mind after reading the next-of-kin information on his army papers.

InnesH

Thanks, Coromandel, I would be happy to be corrected...problem is I do not know how I can access his army papers. I've drawn a blank so far on three websites I use.
    Can you steer me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Innes

InnesH

Hi Mutley
    I received a similar post from Coromandel, to which I replied.
    Should I forward the same details to you?
    Thanks
    InnesH

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by InnesH View Post
    Thanks, Coromandel, I would be happy to be corrected...problem is I do not know how I can access his army papers. I've drawn a blank so far on three websites I use.
    Can you steer me in the right direction?
    As mentioned in post #5 they are available on the pay/subscription site, Findmypast (FMP). They're in the 'British Army Service Records 1760-1915' collection. You can find the search form here:

https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/search/army-service-records/all

Just search for Francis Carter (there aren't many). Francis Xavier appears at the end of the list of search results.

Mutley

You don't need to also reply to me. I can see Coromandel's posts and your response.

I don't know of anywhere that you can see the records for free and pay to view sites do not allow us to copy the details for you. It certainly would be worth your while to view and download the pages following Coromandel's instructions.

InnesH

I will get back to you asap, but FMP have screwed up my subscription request...when I hear from them, I'll check it out and see what it does say!
    Thanks
    Innes
    As mentioned in post #5 they are available on the pay/subscription site, Findmypast (FMP). They're in the 'British Army Service Records 1760-1915' collection. You can find the search form here:

https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/search/army-service-records/all

Just search for Francis Carter (there aren't many). Francis Xavier appears at the end of the list of search results.

Mutley

Good Luck

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Good Luck

(Sorry I wasn't able to tell you what I'd found on Findmypast, but their Terms & Conditions forbid it. There's lots else besides the army papers on there, so you should get your money's worth! )

InnesH

I have to admit that you were absolutely 100% correct! And I was wrong...he does fit the bill!
    I had to get a relative in the UK to get me the record, as FMP kept rejecting my attempted payment, hence the delay in replying.
    Anyway, it very nearly supplied me with all the information I needed...except the main one! Infuriatingly, though, is the fact that he named as his next of kin: Father: William Scot (sic) Carter, Mother: Bridget (at least that's proof!), Brothers: Arthur William and Charles Harcourt…not a mention of my grandmother, Caroline! I guess women didn't count for much at the time!
    If I didn't have definitive proof of her father being William Scott Carter's (illegitimate) daughter, I would begin to doubt myself totally.
    I live in hope.
    Meantime, let me thank you for your very able help.
    InnesH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast