Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servants

topo60

Default Servants

In a recent documentary series on TV they mentioned about male servants being 'licenced' up until the 1930's. Who would have issued such licences and where can I get such information - I have two ancestors who were in domestic service in the 1920's (not in 'grand' houses as shown on the programme) and would like to know more about their lives.

Loves to help with queries

This was mentioned in the programme last night but as I have the memory of a gnat I can't remember the details, however it's repeated on BBC2 Saturday 6th 8pm.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Or you can watch it on BBC's I Player - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...irs_Class_War/

Coromandel

I haven't seen the programme yet, so can't comment on what they mentioned there.

However, my understanding is that it was the employers of male servants who were supposed to get a licence, not the servants themselves. From Googling it appears that the employer paid for a licence to cover a certain number of servants (who weren't named). People could be fined if they were found to be employing more servants than specified on their licence.

In 1880 it cost 15 shillings to get a licence for one male servant. Here's a picture of a licence:

https://
    commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_licence_for_one_male_servant_1880.jpg

Reputation beyond repute

Male Servants Licence Duty was abolished, I think, in the 1937 budget. I remember it well

topo60

The time I am looking for was about 1919-1921 so licences should have been issued. The employers at the time would have had about 4 - 6 male servants. I watched the programme a second time but it was only a 'fleeting' reference to the licence duty. I've been in touch with the programme makers but as yet no reply.

deeree

Was the licence only required for the employment of male servants?

A fountain of knowledge

Another interesting thing on the programme was an agency (or was it a workhouse?) whose records, including photographs, of all the servants it placed and how they got on still survive. Let's hope it gets put online one day.

deeree

Unfortunately, the BBC's iplayer is only available for watching in the UK. Is there any way around that?

Reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the BBC's iplayer is only available for watching in the UK. Is there any way around that?
    Search for UK BBC proxy or some such search term

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast