Starting to feel at home

Default Nicholson family of Croydon

I am Ken Halliday, living at Sandy Flat, south of Tenterfield, NSW Australia. I would like to know about the Nicholson family who were living at 1 Croydon Crst, Broad Green, Croydon, Surrey at the time of the 1871 census. Head of the house was John (53) and his wife Amelia (54) and living with them were Susan (25), Jane (16) and Elizabeth (16) and Mary (4). Susan came to Australia and married my great grandfather (his 3rd wife) and later Mary came and became my paternal grandmother. The last known contact with the Nicholson clan in Croydon was in 1920 when Susan Halliday (nee Nicholson) died and we know that her sister there at that time was a Mrs E Jackson. I should like to make contact with any descendants of Mrs Jackson.

Thanks and best wishes to all,
    Ken Halliday

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A lovely place to be living Ken.
    Do you have access to Ancestry? There are several trees there wit the family you want. Start with Robert John Nicholson b. 1835/6 Croydon.

1881 census is free to view & you'll find the Family of Emily who married Thomas Mason a baker on 11th mar 1858. Witnesses were William & Eliza Jackson. Nor able to find their marriage yet, not positive census listing.

census group;
    1881 9 Cambridge Rd.
    Thomas Mason 45
    Emily Mason 42
    Thomas Mason 20
    Louisa Mason 18
    Charles Mason 16
    Annie Mason 14
    Frederick Mason 7
    RG11; Piece: 813; Folio: 32; Page: 59 (Crown copywrite TNA)

You should be able to follow up some of these people on Ancestry, Genes reunited or just via FreeBMd & later censuses.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your help. I was interested to learn from you that William and Eliza Jackson were witnesses for the Emily & Thomas Mason wedding. I could not find this information on the census records,
    Thanks again,
    Ken Halliday